Garden Downstream from Coop- First Try

HeatherInBama

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 19, 2007
North Alabama
Ok, so I just want some opinions on this Idea. My current Monster Coop is about 500 square feet or so and the Yard is roughly double that. Their water source in the coop is a trough that always has water running through it- i piped it under the back wall and dug a creek the entire length of the yard for them to play in. I'm going to plant a big garden this year and am hoping to save on water bills by putting it downhill from the coop and diverting "chicken river" to water my garden when it leaves the yard-- right now it's just running uselessly into my pasture. So does anyone have comments or suggestions??
big_smile.png

Wow, that sounds really fascinating. (Sorry, no suggestions.) But I would love to see pics if you have any. I have considered trying to build a small creek on my property for animals. But I can't get a good idea of how it should be done. Wouldn't mind an example.

Cassandra

I'm pretty lucky in that the coop is at the top of a slope and the yard and garden area are all downhill --I just dug a little trench where I wanted the water to go. I'm going to try and get some pictures soon- I'm actually going to double the yard and cross fence so I can rotate the areas the girls have access to- they've completely eaten down the yard and it looks like a dirt bowl. I figure if they have 2 yards I can reseed the first with good grazing grass while their eating down the other one. Like I'm actually gonna have time to take care of a garden, too, right??
tongue.png

Do you have well or city/county water running thru your coop ALL the time? Or have you diverted a running creek into their run?? Dixie

sorry i didn't answer sooner-- it's been one of those weeks. anyway- the water is currently city water from a regular outside faucet and starts in the coop at one end of the trough - I dug it out and concreted it with a slight downhill slope. the end is built up so the water level stays high in the trough, but I have a large pipe that is capped off on the outside. I uncap the pipe and flush the trough out for a really thorough cleaning- usually necessary twice a day in the summertime. It's a messy job but no worse than cleaning out the regular waterers in the little coops. the water runs into a concrete bowl on the outside of the coop and trickles out into the little creek trench. The water runs all the time- just at a trickle but enough so the trough is always fresh. I think it adds about a dollar a day to my water bill.

I just got done planting blueberries down hill from my duck pond. It's an old claw foot tub in the chicken coop. I wash it out atleast once a day sometimes twice in the summer. So there is an entire large tub and the some, of water going out to nowhere. So I dug a trench from my tub drain that I have piped out of the run and planted swamp blueberries in it. So far so good.

If where you plan to plant your garden stays noticably moist you will want to go with moisture loving plants. Cucs and such. I would suggest posting this thread on theeasygarden.com byc sister site. Them guys will deffently be able to help you out with what to plant and other great tips I am sure.

thanks for the tip-- I don't think I'll have too much trouble with over watering-- At the regular rate the water runs its just a trickle. It's only heavy flow when I'm doing the cleaning and my tentative plans include an overflow that would continue downhill toward the back of the property. I haven't been to the other site yet-- maybe I'll go check it out.

I have heard that the chicken poo needs to be composted before before going into a garden...not wise to put it in straight as it is so high in nitrogen that is changes the soil ph...but i am still checking on this. meanwhile I am composting my poo.

Sounds like a wonderful idea though.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom