Garden Weeds in the Spring

Jun 14, 2021
Germany
It's springtime again. While cleaning up different corners in the garden, I also cut and chop safe weeds for chickens as a seasonal supplement.

Different weeds grow happily in different locations, so it has become my new daily routine to collect one bucket of mixed weeds for them.
14057.jpg

I used an empty tower as a feeder (of vegetables or other greens safe for them), and the effect is somehow good. No fight; everyone gets her place.
14060.jpg

A small video about how they enjoy the daily greens

My chickens love garden weeds, but with them in lockup due to Avian flu in my region I can't offer them right now.

(Not sure if washing them with a bucket and a hose would be adequate?)
As the virus can be killed with heat, do you think blanching is practical? I mean, after collecting weeds, quickly blanch and then offer them to the chickens when the weeds are cooled down.

As the virus can be killed with heat, do you think blanching is practical? I mean, after collecting weeds, quickly blanch and then offer them to the chickens when the weeds are cooled down.

I can't imagine hauling a Gorilla Cart full of weeds into my kitchen to blanch. :D

The weeks and the lawn trimmings that the chickens would normally enjoy are going to have to be composted, I suppose. :(

When I pull weeds, I put them in a bucket, dirt and all. Then the bucket gets dumped in the chicken run, and they go to town.

Any grubs I find while I'm weeding go in the bucket too. I tell them, Ladies, there are a few special bits in there.

That's my norm, but with avian flu in my area I'm just going to have to compost everything. :(

Back
Top Bottom