Garlic As Worm Treatment/Preventative

I use DE for millipedes and it works great as long as it is dry. The package information says not to breath it in as it will cause respiratory issues and do not use it in wet or damp places because it doesn't work when wet.

From this I have assumed that if its bad for me to breath it's probably bad for the chicken to breath also. If it doesn't work when wet, then feeding it to the chickens for worms probably won't work either since their insides are wet and damp. I don't know this for sure but I don't personally use DE on or around my chickens based on the package cautions.

On the other hand, some folks swear by it ...... :idunno
^ that's the highlights.

I use it on horizontal surfaces in my (very dry, not disturbed) barn to control creepy crawlies, by placing it where they are likely to form paths and causeways. I can lay a broad path of the stuff at full concentration, and ensure broad exposure. Helps keep ants, roaches, beetles, etc to a rare few.

Its also effective* against mice.

* How??? I see their feet prints, and know to set out new glue traps! :lau

DE around garden plants helps to deter slugs.

When I first got chicks, I read DE was something I'd want to have on hand to combat various chicken pests, so I bought a bag. Then I read about its hazards.

So I have plenty to keep the *&%$! slugs off my plants.

Tobaco is a toxin, and at dosages needed to actually kill parasites, is very toxic. In those 'good old days' before safe and effective wormers were available, it was a useful product. sometimes. Now that we have safe and effective drugs available, in known dosages, trying those old chemical products makes no sense at all!
It's a matter of using something that's toxic to the targeted parasite, while not harming the host.
And 'natural' isn't the same as 'safe'!!!
Mary

I see posts about not using DE, Why? Newbie here?
I read several similar posts & even got banned from a FB group over our recipe for dust baths that includes DE. Our flock is healthy no mites or fleas. They forage in a .25 acre yard that is also a postage stamp fruit orchard. We add granulated garlic to their fermented feed and the first week of the month add ACV to the water. Healthy animals, so far no worm or other infestation issues.

I just read a piece that promotes garlic as a natural way to treat and prevent worms in chickens. Supposedly just by placing a few garlic cloves in the drinking water will release sulfur and something else that I can't remember now. This is supposed to take care of the worms and help to prevent them in the first place.

Has anyone had any experience with this method of worm treatment?
Hi Songstress,
A quick response to your question. We've had chickens for nearly five years. We put garlic in their breakfast twice a week. We give them a bit of cider vinegar or Manuka honey in their water a few times a week. We also feed them the seeds from squash and pumpkins. We've never had issues with worms. I've also put oregano in their food. They love it. If all these natural foods are good for humans why wouldn't they be for our animals.
I'm not going to say that we will never encounter problems with worms but so far so good. Everyone has their own ways of taking care of their flocks. Do what you think is right and you'll learn from it. Best of luck.

If all these natural foods are good for humans why wouldn't they be for our animals.
Short answer - because animals are not people and have different tolerances. Birds don't even have a stomach, therefore they process things completely different than we do.

Not saying natural stuff is bad at all. Just explaining why some may not give something that is toxic to a lot of animals, to their chickens. Or why that statement may not always work.

Short answer - because animals are not people and have different tolerances. Birds don't even have a stomach, therefore they process things completely different than we do.

Not saying natural stuff is bad at all. Just explaining why some may not give something that is toxic to a lot of animals, to their chickens. Or why that statement may not always work.
I guess each person has to take care of their flocks as they see fit. We've never lost a chicken to garlic. We learned very early in that its good for their respiratory system. So we started. They love it and it's seemed to have worked over the years. Like people, each chicken is different.
Like others, I'm just speaking from our experiences.

Back
Top Bottom