Garlic As Worm Treatment/Preventative

Garlic probably is beneficial as you describe putting it in water once in a while. You could try putting out a garlic water next to a fresh water and see if they like it. I don't think it is toxic because I sometimes feed it and some chickens love it, others dont.

I read on a thread here somewhere that a mix of rosemary, oregano, and thyme is great for respiratory, parasite, and gut health. 🤷🏼‍♀️ We had a sick chicken last year and I gave them that sparingly with some cooked brown rice and lentils she perked right up after a few days. She did end up dying about 3 months later (no, I didn't feed the mix to them regularly after she recovered) but she was always sort of weaker of constitution than the others. I'm still not sure if the herbs did anything or if they just made the food appetizing enough for her to want to eat. Either way, I give them a small mix of the herbs and other treats occasionally for variety and they're happy.

As for the the thought that food for humans is good for chickens, or any other animals, is bs. There is a reason we shouldn't let our cats eat garlic or onions, why pure chocolate is toxic to most animals, and why pregnant women should avoid hibiscus and large quantities of other herbs. Adult humans are larger and our digestive systems are different in many key ways than all domesticated animals and even small children.

DE in the litter and feed has worked well as a preventative for 16 years. I've seen worms once in all that time and that was after slacking off on the coop cleaning routine. I used a commercially available dewormer to take care of that quickly. All our other livestock get routine doses of dewormer. I've known people to watch their flocks or herds slowly die as they tried to treat an active case of worms with all-natural methods.

I just read a piece that promotes garlic as a natural way to treat and prevent worms in chickens. Supposedly just by placing a few garlic cloves in the drinking water will release sulfur and something else that I can't remember now. This is supposed to take care of the worms and help to prevent them in the first place.

Has anyone had any experience with this method of worm treatment?
It's great for them. I gave it to them Even when they were a week old. I don't too much any more because they get apple cider Vinegar in there water and I'm busy and prepare other food for them.

I've tried both garlic and pumpkin seeds but I think they're more of preventative boosters as I still see worms in my chook poop after that. A couple of weeks ago, I used wormwood for treatment by giving my 5 chooks three 5-inch long leaves & stems cut finely (1/2 inch lengths) for a period of 7 days ad lib mixed in with their vegetable scraps and they've purged out worms after around day 3 - 4. They can see what they're eating so they can choose to consume it or not and I haven't seen any adverse effect of the herb on my chooks so perhaps wormwood is a better natural alternative. I wouldn't treat them all the time - just twice a year from what I've read in an online article.
My understanding is that garlic doesn’t kill the worms but it does kill worm eggs, so if you already have a worm problem it won’t do as much good, but it’s good for Once the worm problem is under control. You do need to use it daily because the protection doesn’t stay in the chickens. I’ve only been a chicken person for 16 months,but so far when the vet fecal test for parasites comes back clean. Just lucky or it’s working? I just crush 2 cloves and drop into water container, which I then clean out at end of day.

I read several similar posts & even got banned from a FB group over our recipe for dust baths that includes DE. Our flock is healthy no mites or fleas. They forage in a .25 acre yard that is also a postage stamp fruit orchard. We add granulated garlic to their fermented feed and the first week of the month add ACV to the water. Healthy animals, so far no worm or other infestation issues.
I'm using it in the dust bath areas as well. I did add it to my dog's food because she eat the chicken poo. It was driving me crazy.

What I'm wondering is if there might be something else that might help in preventing parasites in chickens.
There is no way to prevent parasites, as chicken can get infested by just ingesting a single insect or worm that was a carrier.

But you can do quite a lot by avoiding overcrowding, cleaning the poop board every morning, keeping the coop clean and dry and providing more than enough run/pen space and if possible at least one, better two additional runs, so you can rotate and not have the chickens on their own feces.

Biosecurity is also important: Always wear especially designated chicken boots (that will never be used elsewhere) when entering their space. Never enter their space with street boots/shoes.

Back
Top Bottom