Garlic cloves / bread okay?

AuburnChickenNewbies

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2011
I have about a half-loaf of whole wheat garlic bread ... the kind with whole cloves of garlic in it ... that was left out and is now hard. I'm thinking of giving it to my girls tomorrow as a treat.

I've read that garlic is both okay ... and not okay in large quantities. Knowing these girls, they'll go at it like mad, but I wanted to be sure giving them that much garlic would be okay.

Do you think it's okay?

Too much garlic will make the eggs taste a bit off. It will not hurt your girls. I doubt there is enough garlic in the bread to make the eggs taste off though.
smile.png
Mine get TONS of wild garlic daily and my eggs taste fine.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Perfect! That's what I needed to know. I expect that the eggs'll be just fine tasting ... at least by me! I love garlic as part of my eggs!

Quote:
Oh! Now that's one I didn't know ... it probably is! ('Course I know very little about this chicken-raising thing. We're only a few months into this new hobby ... and having a ball!)

just looked it up... garlic is an excellent natural wormer apparently! i'll have to try that, i hate using tons of chemicals around my flock.... glad to hear you're having fun and welcome to the chicken world
smile.png

Quote:
Did you figure out how much garlic they can/should have if your goal is to worm them? Or is it something that just happens as a result of eating garlic periodically? I haven't thought at all about needing to worm them ...... should we be doing that?

(Okay, I've hit submit three times now and the post is still up and on my screen ... hope this doesn't appear in the forum repeatedly ...)

Here is a Hub I wrote. It pretty much covers most of my organic parasite control tactics. Each situation is different, you may need less or more. Its important to start out slowly, especially with neem. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

http://isadorapandora.hubpages.com/hub/Momma-Jays-Natural-Dewormer-for-Pets-and-Livestock

One thing with natural dewormers, it takes longer and is harder to get right when compared to synthetic. This is where people run into problems and end up thinking natural doesn't work. The quality of your ingredients matters a lot.

I suggest doing fecals with a microscope before, during and after worming sessions. It will give you a clearer idea of what is going on. Also, whenever you slaughter an animal, check its innards carefully for parasite problems.
thumbsup.gif

My animals also have access to mugwort and other natural deworming plants.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom