Garlic, electrolytes, etc - some questions.

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Sup.
I've started giving my flock garlick recently. 5 cloves of garlic for 5 liters of water for 21 chickens. Is the amount okay? I press the garlic in a garlic press, then add it to water and give to chicken. Is there any better way to give them all those goods of garlic than just give it to water? Heard that some people put pressed garlic in a small container of water and leave it for night in the fridge then pour it to more water and give it to chicken.
About electrolytes - can I give my chickens normal electrolytes(for humans i'd say), or i have to buy some for poultry? (I found a recipe for chicken electrolytes too and it's sugar, water, salt and baking soda.)
Btw do you know any other natural remedies?

Sup.
I've started giving my flock garlick recently. 5 cloves of garlic for 5 liters of water for 21 chickens. Is the amount okay? I press the garlic in a garlic press, then add it to water and give to chicken. Is there any better way to give them all those goods of garlic than just give it to water? Heard that some people put pressed garlic in a small container of water and leave it for night in the fridge then pour it to more water and give it to chicken.
About electrolytes - can I give my chickens normal electrolytes(for humans i'd say), or i have to buy some for poultry? (I found a recipe for chicken electrolytes too and it's sugar, water, salt and baking soda.)
Btw do you know any other natural remedies?
I cut up a dozen cloves of garlic and put it in a dish. The pullets loved it. Truth be told I did this on a recommendation but I don’t know if it was beneficial to their health.

I think 1 clove to 1 liter (quart) is the dose recommended once or twice per week. You should only use fresh crushed garlic if you decide to use it. When you crush the garlic it forms allicin and that turns into other compounds in a small amount of time. That is the reason it has to be crushed fresh, unlike that that comes from a spice jar or something that sits around for awhile.

Chickens only need electrolytes that are stressed from heat (think of you sweating on a hot day loosing electrolytes, in other words salt) or for new chicks from shipping stress and pasty butt. They don't need electrolytes just as a routine schedule. Human electrolytes could work if you can figure out how much to put in their water and it would vary by different brands.

What is the human electrolyte drink you talk of?

What is the homeade electrolyte recipe?

I think 1 clove to 1 liter (quart) is the dose recommended once or twice per week. You should only use fresh crushed garlic if you decide to use it. When you crush the garlic it forms allicin and that turns into other compounds in a small amount of time. That is the reason it has to be crushed fresh, unlike that that comes from a spice jar or something that sits around for awhile.

Chickens only need electrolytes that are stressed from heat (think of you sweating on a hot day loosing electrolytes, in other words salt) or for new chicks from shipping stress and pasty butt. They don't need electrolytes just as a routine schedule. Human electrolytes could work if you can figure out how much to put in their water and it would vary by different brands.

What is the human electrolyte drink you talk of?

What is the homeade electrolyte recipe?
I remove the garlic water after like 24 hours and i use fresh crushed garlic. I know that chickens don't need to get electrolytes when as they daily routine. I didn't really talk about any human electrolyte-just asked about them in general.
The recipe:

To 4.5 litres (one gallon) of water, add :

• 1 tablespoon sugar (I use granulated white sugar, but any will work).
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon potassium chloride (optional - see below)

I'd just avoid the human versions and make my own. This is what I would use:

Per gallon of water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of sodium chloride
1/4 teaspoon of potassium chloride

Back
Top Bottom