garlic for gape worm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by avanderhule, Aug 15, 2011.

1. avanderhule

avanderhule Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Phoenix
    I thought I read this on here before, but now can't find it. How much garlic concentrate do I put in the hen's water in case they have worms...which I think they do?!

About 6 of my hens are still doing the shaking first then stretching of the neck like a yawn. I have been dealing with it since I got them..about 3 months. I do not want to give antibiotics and don't want to have to get rid of the eggs.

I desperately need a solid answer 'cause in a week or so I need to combine my 2 flocks and want them all in tip top condition. It's so hot (115), but I haven't read that heat could cause the stretching and opening mouth.

Thanks again for everything!!!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Garlic wont treat gapeworm. You need to use valbazen(albendazole.) It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and can be purchased either at your feedstore or Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Valbazen is administered orally, use a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again in 10 days. There is a 24 day withdrawal start to finish.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Listen to dawg53. Garlic is best used to season your chickens for the roaster.

4. avanderhule

Jun 5, 2011
    Phoenix
    Thanks for that, though not what I wanted to hear! But you think that sort of activity or action is related to gape worms, or is there something else it could be?!

Thanks again...will get to the farm store later today per your next response!

5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    If you go to the Search box and type in gape worms, or signs of gape worms you can read a lot of good information and suggestions...

Have you used a Q-Tip in the throat to see if you can find any? They look like small, red, "y" shapes.

Good Luck

6. avanderhule

Jun 5, 2011
    Phoenix
    No I have not done the Q-tip. That is wow...so grown up and I don't know if I can do that! Do I just have my husband help me hold the beak open and I do a quick swab-like strep? Is there any other way to find out if they do in fact even have worms? Have not found any in their poop, that I know of! The only sign of SOMETHING is the stretching and opening of beak. Some do the shaking, some don't. None have mucas-y noses or any other dysfunction other than nasty soft eggs once in a while...per my post labeled "liquid coming from hen's mouth" or something like that!
    Thanks!!!!

7. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Does sound like it is related to parasites. But the chance that 6 have it at once is not typical of gape worm. Other worms cecal, capillary cause those type of symptoms too.

Valbazen such as dawg53 suggested is excellent wormer. Panacur is another good one.
    We have had gape worm twice. Once in a Robin and once in peafowl. Dosed once with Ivermectin within 24 they were eating again and recovered without any problems.

It is transmitted from eating a infected earthworm. Transmission different than the other worms mentioned above.
    Same transmission as blackhead. Blackhead also presents itself such as yawning, head shaking, loss of weight, poor appetite, wiping of mouth. They also seem to be drowsy.
    But you don't mention any of those symptoms.

Worming them with valbazen or panacur should help them.
    Keep our fingers crossed they recover soon.

8. SpringHillConservatory

SpringHillConservatory Out Of The Brooder

Hi - OLD Thread BUT -- Had to jump in!

I would have said you have some very HOT Hens!

You said it was 115 Degrees! Holy Rotisserie Batman!

Chickens can not sweat - and will open their mouths to breath as a way to cool down.
    Yes there is come cooling through comb and wattles but gasping will be seen all the time - even as chicks if brooder or mom becomes too hot.

A great little article on how to stop your chickens from overheating :

http://info.mannapro.com/mannaproan...ing-Your-Backyard-Chickens-Cool-in-the-Summer

Do a search and agricultural departments and other sites can even offer more ideas - like frozen water bottles where they lay for example - to keep your poultry cool - and it can be specific to your region.

[​IMG] lying low - in the shade - staying cool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by