Gary just joined

gpeters3

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Near Adrian MI
Just by way of introduction, my name is Gary. My wife Dora asked me if she could have a bird and I said OK (I'm thinking parakeet). As I left the farm supply store, the box she had in her cart was peeping!! Now I have to build a coop...
Its been a few years now and I built a new coop on the back of the barn using all my experience with caring for them as a guide. I'll post some pics later. Right now we are looking for a few new breeds to liven up the variety but don't have a brooder cage so need some mature laying hens so they can protect themselves. I learned the hard way that chickens are very jealous and are cannibles so I built a high perch away from the nest boxes for them to get away from bullies. I'll post more later.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Make sure that your chickens are not overcrowded as overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. You need to have a minimum of 4 sq. ft. of floor area per bird in your coop (not counting that taken up by the nesting boxes) and 10 sq. ft. of ground area per bird in the run (more is better). If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

My coop is 16x9 including my work area. Chickens have about 11x9 with 2 perches, one in front of the nesting box an one to the side, higher up for escape from bullies. I didn't add a run because I plan to let them out each day to free range in the yard.

I have a couple that are bulllies even outside in the yard. I started with bantams, added 4 isa reds and then some grey and black ones. A couple were killed, at least one froze or was cornered and killed, not sure. We raised a few of our own chicks and still have 2 bantams from that bunch but raising our own isn't worth the danger to the kids. All roosters have been butchred for safety. I really liked the bantam rooster and he was really pretty but he would not leave the big ones alone so they tried to kill him. Didn't want to see him killed so just let him go wild. Sure cyotes got him by now. He used to attack me too but he didn't do much damage so I didn't mind. The big ones were very dangerous and would make more than one strike leaving my legs all chopped up. My grandson is only 2 and was hit 3 times before I could intervene. We now have a no rooster rule....I really like my new setup and the chickens are so used to me now they follow me all over the yard and the kids can play with them and feed them with no danger to them. I enjoy hearing the roosters crow but I enjoy my chickens a lot more without them.

Hi Gary, nice to meet you. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Many people are going rooster-less and the hens are really enjoying it. If they want chicks, they buy fertile eggs and incubate them or put under a broody hen. Makes for a pretty stress less situation for all involved.

All my hens were damaged by the roosters spurs, their backs were stripped bare of featners but the feathers are coming back now. The whole flock has transformed, calmer, more eggs, just much nicer without the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom