Gary the wonder chicken!

xBRIANx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Jennifer and I had posted this thread regarding our chick problems:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=199989

A
faulty thermometer seems to have been the problem, thank you all for your help.

Now, about Gary. She stopped eating and drinking yesterday morning. We started giving her liquids with a dropper, which she didn't like but was too tired to fight beyond some head turning.

I stayed up all night feeding Gary strained broth/soup made from chick feed and also a diluted pedialyte/poly-vi-sol drink, not because I thought it would actually work but because I really WANTED it to work. I figured a one week old chick that wouldn't eat or drink for 24 hours was on it's way out, but continued anyway.

This morning Gary walked over to the feeder and started eating! Now, she's eating, drinking, and running around as well as any of them; as if nothing was ever wrong. I'm amazed to see her looking so good and of course very happy.

I'm hopeful they'll be OK.
fl.gif

Thankfully, I'm self employed, so I can take a long nap and have some happy chicken dreams.

Thats great news!!!! I had a crooked beak a few weeks ago I tried to get to start eating(Did not turn out well) so its nice to here storys like this

Quote:
Thank you.

I'm pretty proud of myself at the moment. And sick from all the coffee.

Quote:
smile.png
It's like labor- you should've seen me last week, hatching 2 chicks in my bra when the broody got up...and I'm not joking...2 all nighters followed by an umbilical herniation procedure- on a chick!!!!

Got some cute fuzzies for it, though!

Good Job Gary, thanks for saving Mom & Dad. LOL Thanks for a get well story, too often we only hear of the ones that don't make it. WOOOOO HOOOOO
Hope she keeps getting better.

Back
Top Bottom