Gary the wonder chicken!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xBRIANx, Jun 16, 2009.

1. xBRIANx

xBRIANx In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Jennifer and I had posted this thread regarding our chick problems:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=199989

A
    faulty thermometer seems to have been the problem, thank you all for your help.

Now, about Gary. She stopped eating and drinking yesterday morning. We started giving her liquids with a dropper, which she didn't like but was too tired to fight beyond some head turning.

I stayed up all night feeding Gary strained broth/soup made from chick feed and also a diluted pedialyte/poly-vi-sol drink, not because I thought it would actually work but because I really WANTED it to work. I figured a one week old chick that wouldn't eat or drink for 24 hours was on it's way out, but continued anyway.

This morning Gary walked over to the feeder and started eating! Now, she's eating, drinking, and running around as well as any of them; as if nothing was ever wrong. I'm amazed to see her looking so good and of course very happy.

I'm hopeful they'll be OK.[​IMG]

Thankfully, I'm self employed, so I can take a long nap and have some happy chicken dreams.

2. JMC52

JMC52 In the Brooder

May 9, 2009
    Oregon
    Thats great news!!!! I had a crooked beak a few weeks ago I tried to get to start eating(Did not turn out well) so its nice to here storys like this

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Songster

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Yeah! Congratulations on saving your chick! [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Congrats!!

Little victories are important! Good job getting Gary over the hump- good Chicken Daddy!!!

5. xBRIANx

xBRIANx In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Quote:Thank you.

I'm pretty proud of myself at the moment. And sick from all the coffee.

6. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Songster

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I so happy for you that it all worked out well for your chickie!!! That is wonderful!!! [​IMG]

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] It's like labor- you should've seen me last week, hatching 2 chicks in my bra when the broody got up...and I'm not joking...2 all nighters followed by an umbilical herniation procedure- on a chick!!!!

Got some cute fuzzies for it, though!

8. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Good Job Gary, thanks for saving Mom & Dad. LOL Thanks for a get well story, too often we only hear of the ones that don't make it. WOOOOO HOOOOO
    Hope she keeps getting better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: