Gas struts for nesting box lid

jennyinvermont

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
Hi everyone! Anyone have some gas struts they love for a very heavy nesting box lid? I'm exhausted looking at the options and don't know anything about this stuff: Our coop is very similar to this. theres 2x4 framing under the lid so it's crazy heavy.
coop.jpg

It might be easier and more reliable to redo the nest box to open from the back instead of the top. Especially when the snow comes. I haven't done lids at all, though, so this is for what it is worth.
That would definitely not be easier! We've been building this damn thing since April LOL. Needs to be done!!! (lid isn't attached yet). I think the snow will be easy enough to sweep off. We should have made it that way to begin with - THAT would have been way easier! :(

We added struts to the nest box roof. Here is a picture. I did not read the instructions, so even with two, they barely hold it open. They help, but the roof is still heavy.

I think adding a side door would work better. YMMV. I plan to add a door, maybe a slider to the side. It will be enough under the overhang to shield against rain. If my lousy carpentry skills fail, I will replace nest box roof with a larger overhang. It will also allow easier access to move a hen off the eggs, lower for the grand kids to access. Of course the door would be level to the ground.

Attachments

• 20210920_163730 (1).jpg
    20210920_163730 (1).jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 1632171052744.jpeg
    1632171052744.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 66
Call around to your local auto salvage yards and see if you can find a good set of struts from the rear hatch on a large SUV, like a Tahoe, Suburban, or Excursion (not the window struts, the big back door), or a minivan. I replaced the rear hatch on my tahoe and I promise it's heavier than that nest box lid, two men could barely hold it up while I attached the struts. Bonus is that they should only cost about $10.

Call around to your local auto salvage yards and see if you can find a good set of struts from the rear hatch on a large SUV, like a Tahoe, Suburban, or Excursion (not the window struts, the big back door), or a minivan. I replaced the rear hatch on my tahoe and I promise it's heavier than that nest box lid, two men could barely hold it up while I attached the struts. Bonus is that they should only cost about $10.
Agreed or even Jeep Wrangler TJ struts, they’re a little bit smaller but hold a ton of weight.

We added struts to the nest box roof. Here is a picture. I did not read the instructions, so even with two, they barely hold it open. They help, but the roof is still heavy.

I think adding a side door would work better. YMMV. I plan to add a door, maybe a slider to the side. It will be enough under the overhang to shield against rain. If my lousy carpentry skills fail, I will replace nest box roof with a larger overhang. It will also allow easier access to move a hen off the eggs, lower for the grand kids to access. Of course the door would be level to the ground.
Where did you get the shocks and brackets for the lid?

Back
Top Bottom