*** GASP**** The babies are being moved outside...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mycookoonest, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Dh is a little weary of the smell and dust from our older babies (13 of them) in the brooder... they are 4 and a half weeks old. I'm really going to miss being able to just see them whenever I want!!! I mean i can go outside and visit them in the coop AKA Margaritaville, but still!

It's in between 80-90 during the day and at night it dips down to about 60. Will they be ok (since they're mostly feathered) without the brooder lamp?

*Sigh* it's so hard to let go... [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, they'll be okay without the brooder lamp. They will enjoy being in larger digs.

3. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Our littles ones have another week or so til they "make the move"...I will be ready.

4. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    I felt the same way. It is like having a child leave for college.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our girls are outside for the first time tonight. We've already checked on them & everyone is OK. All huddled together on their roosting perch. Perfect!

But boy oh boy, did the RIR have a total COW when se shut her in there. She fluttered around & tried to get out. We finally had to leave so that she'd calm down (coop has a clear roof).

So sad... but glad to have the laundry room back. smell + flies = icky

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    When I moved mine outside I was sad at first. It's been a week and I managed to get over it. They love having more room outside.

Congrats Jen!

7. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I have broilers and layers but only one coop. The broilers are already out there so can I but fencing down the center and have them share the coop? Is there any reason they shouldn't be in the coop together?
    Also, my youngest chicks are 3.5 weeks old, is that too young? It was in the 60's last night but they haven't had a light in the house for 2 weeks but they are not completely feathered.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    UPDATE - the girls survived their first night outside!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by