Gasping duckling please help

Thank you for replying. I didn't want to force her to dunk her head under the water so I just played with the other ducklings and let the water splash on her. She does not look like she is enjoying the water at all and will not put her entire face in the water. All of the other ducklings are diving and having a blast while my gasper acts like she's afraid of drowning. Perhaps I should have introduced them to the water as soon as I got them home. I'm hoping she just hasn't learned how to clear her nostrils.
Is she doing this continously? if so I think something is seriously wrong, if you can afford it and have an avain vet close by I would suggest taking this duckling in for an examine. I can understand why she is reluctant to dunk her head she is struggling to breathe. I'm truly not tring to scare you but this is not normal and seems like it would have already worked it self out if it was something stuck in her nares. most ducklings learn pretty quick how to clean out their nares and eyes it's in their DNA.

Aww, poor baby. Those videos are hard to watch. I don't have much to contribute but I do hope she can be feeling better soon.

Thank you for all of the replies. Just to answer some questions: She's not gasping all of the time. It seems to happen at different times and come on all of a sudden. Her nostrils sound like she has a stuffed nose and then it sounds like it gets completely clogged. That's when she starts to gasp. Then somehow it seems to go away almost completely. Water and food definitely seem to have an effect on her breathing.

I'm thinking I should have put a larger waterer in with them when I first brought them home. The gasper doesn't copy her siblings' eating and drinking behaviors. All of the other ducklings go back and forth getting food then taking a drink. Although she seems to be eating and drinking fine she hasn't figured out that she should do it at the same time one after the other.

The swimming seems to have a positive effect on her breathing so I'm going to get all of them in the tub a few times a day. Last night she actually put her head under water for the first time.

The good news is that she is not getting worse. If it weren't for her frequent gasping you would not think anything was wrong with her. Although she is not growing as fast as her siblings.

I really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions.

I think that due to her eating and drinking habits, she has clogged nares. Baths are really good, and we can hope she will catch on to the concept of clearing her nares. I would make a head washer for the brooder since if she doesn't have one there is no chance of her using it.

I think that due to her eating and drinking habits, she has clogged nares. Baths are really good, and we can hope she will catch on to the concept of clearing her nares. I would make a head washer for the brooder since if she doesn't have one there is no chance of her using it.
Thanks for the reply. You could be right on with your idea. When I first got them I was afraid to put anything in with them that had the slightest chance that they could drown. So they only had a chick waterer with the feeder. I made sure that they ate and drank as soon as they came home and I thought that would be all that needed to be done. The other ducklings had no problem using the waterer to wash their heads. I guess I should be glad only one had a problem.

I didn't see her gasping today and she seems to be using the waterer more than just to get a drink. They're 14 days old now and I noticed my gasper after their first few days so she's been dealing with this for a while. I hate to think that my ignorance could have caused this but as long as she gets better I'll be happy. Now she just has to catch up in size with her siblings. Thanks again for your help.

Very happy to hear your seeing improvements now, hope they continue and she catches up to the point you can't tell her from the others.
fl.gif

Very happy to hear your seeing improvements now, hope they continue and she catches up to the point you can't tell her from the others.
fl.gif
Thank you and thanks to all who left a message. She is doing much better today. Didn't gasp at all today and I've been watching her like a hawk. I'm still praying this is just clogged nares and once she learns how to clear them properly she'll be fine. But at least she seems to be going in the right direction. Thanks again.

Thank you and thanks to all who left a message. She is doing much better today. Didn't gasp at all today and I've been watching her like a hawk. I'm still praying this is just clogged nares and once she learns how to clear them properly she'll be fine. But at least she seems to be going in the right direction. Thanks again.
pop.gif
love to see more pics of your babies when you get a chance. and that is great news, sounds like she is headed in the right direction.. YAY!!

Back
Top Bottom