Gasping for air only while lying down and being held!

My 3 year old Buff Orpington is gasping, but only when sitting. And she also has diarrhea. I've been giving her Tylan 50 orally for 3 days now. (I just can't give a shot). Her color is a little better, but I wonder if there is more I can do. Not sure if it's just respertory and/or worms. Everyone else is fine. Thank you for any input.

My 3 year old Buff Orpington is gasping, but only when sitting. And she also has diarrhea. I've been giving her Tylan 50 orally for 3 days now. (I just can't give a shot). Her color is a little better, but I wonder if there is more I can do. Not sure if it's just respertory and/or worms. Everyone else is fine. Thank you for any input.
I am so sorry to hear your Buff Orpington is not feeling well. What is her name? Believe it or not my hen is still gasping for air and it has been almost 4 months.However, during her illness we discovered she had lice, so if I were you I would check and treat for parasites right away. I think my hen had the lice to long without treatment which may be why she is suffering so. Also,chickens hide when they don't feel well due to predators so you should treat them as well and keep close eye on them. Separating her from the flock would also be a good idea. If you can take her inside so you can keep an eye on her would be ideal too. Making sure she is getting water and is kept warm is important.I like to add water to their crumbles which makes it mushy.This helps the water intake and mine LOVE it! Also, I would add Sav-A-Chick to the water.You can buy it at tractor supply or your local feed store.Is she eating?Is she puffed up or standing funny?My Lilybug has been going to the vet once a week for tests and ivermectin injections,so if I find out what is wrong with my little girl and would be more than happy to share and compare.I'm no expert but I know somethings that may be useful, so don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure you'll get other replies from other members. Plus it may be useful to start a need thread.Good Luck!!

Thank you for the reply. Buttercups seems well except for the diarrhea and gasping while laying down. She's eating and drinking. Acting normal. I'll give your suggestions a try and also post a new thread.

Thank you for the reply. Buttercups seems well except for the diarrhea and gasping while laying down. She's eating and drinking. Acting normal. I'll give your suggestions a try and also post a new thread.
Did you check for parasites? This is important because my hen was acting perfectly normal at the beginning other then the gasping for air then she declined. So if parasites is the reason maybe you can solve the problem before it worsens like my little hen.

I took my Lilybug:cd  to the vet for the 4th time this evening. They said no worms, no bugs, no fluid in abdomen, not egg bound, no sour crop. That is all wonderful news but I don't feel their diagnosis is correct.They say she is just severely anemic. I don't see how that explains her breathing heavy only while lying down or being held but I'm no doctor or I would know what is wrong myself. I'm hoping they are right and that this is something she can overcome. Just a little improvement would make me happy, just so she can seem happy again. I'm willing to go the extra mile for her for the rest of my life cause I just love her so much. Pray for my Lilybug. Pray she will soon be the happy and playful little girl she once was.Thank you all for the replies and helpful tips and info!      Thanks Again, Linda and Lilybug :clap

My little isa brown has similar symptoms (gasping for air) and my vet diagnosed her with severe anemia. My worry is that she can't sleep because she is gasping almost constantly and Im so afraid that she is going to exhaust herself before she can recover :(

Back
Top Bottom