Gathering info from NH pigeon owners

truecolorsloft

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
campton NH
There seems to be a severe lack of shows in NH for pigeons, and i was thinking of proposing a pigeon class at the sandwich fair, and maybe a few other fairs that have poultry shows. I know many people are not fans of seamless bands, however, I have seen some pigeon shows in NY that allow for split bands, and "non-traditional bands." These birds are judges seperate from the birds with seamless bands. So here's my question. If i can get a far to allow for a pigeon class, how many of you pigeon owners would consider showing(provided that seamless bands are optional).

I definately would.
I dont understand the difference in classes for seamless and split bands though. never got that?

Personally I hate banding birds due mostly because of stupidity on an inexperienced bander. ugh zip ties that nearly cut off a foot. yep got 2 like that now, one pheasant and one cockateil.
I understand the concept of banding but I think there should be classes on how to apply them properly.
hence I do not band unless it is called for a show.

I was hoping you'd be in...
ya.gif
I'm thinking of getting those plastic split rings(kinda like the milk jug rings) for my doves, since none are banded. Typically, seamless bands are the "standard classes" for example, Red bar, bald head roller young cock. The NY show i was looking at allows split band birds, but they must be judges as old birds, regardless of age.
old.gif

wow thats really interesting , I am going to have to spend more time researching this,
i am used to showing rabbits but with my arm as hatefull as it is , I have to go with something much lighter than 14 lb french lops and 10 lb silver fox for showing, But I can still breed quality show stock with out showing,

I love the pigeons and have since my husband got me interested in the first few wilds that showed up one day.
then it was hand feedings as he would claim the parent birds were not taking care of them,( the jerk was stealing the babys and bringing them in for hand feeding
rant.gif
I busted him) then it was taking in babys that people were not smart enough to leave home and then the jelly twins. so I dont think its a far streach to start showing them also.
on a positive note 3 pigeons in a carrier will be a heck of a lot lighter than 3 french lops LOL.

Back
Top Bottom