Gatineau, Quebec license for laying hens.

bantamsrmyfav

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I am applying to get a license to keep 5 backyard hens. They will be bantam size but I would still need to follow the requirements for space. I am wondering if you applied and what was your experience. I am confused as to whether the picture they want us to submit has to include the picture of the coop and run. I would imagine it would be costly to have to buy the coop and run only to get denied the license. Or do they just want a picture of where the coop/run will be?

I want to get this Eglu Go coop with a 2m run:
https://fourlegsorwings.com/products/eglu-go-chicken-coop

These are the measurements:

gem20180508May051525803360eglu_go_dimensions.jpg

The requirements are: The minimize of the hen shelter shall be 0.37m2 per laying hen, the run 0.92m2 per laying hen, the coop cannot exceed a floor area of 10m2, the run cannot exceed 10m2, the height cannot be taller than 2.5 meters. Since the coop is not raised, I know at least I meet the last requirement.

I am wondering if someone can see if I am doing the math right, which I hope I am not because if I am, then I cannot get that coop because it would only be enough for one hen according to the requirements.

To convert from cm to m2 I multiplied the length times the width. So for the coop it was 80cm x 80 cm = 6400 cm which is 0.64 m2. The requirement is 0.37 m2 which is 0.74 m2 if I wanted two hens. As for the run, it would be 210cm x 165 cm which is 34650 cm = 3.65 m2. I wouldn't be able to get 4 hens because 4 hens is 0.92 x 4 = 3.68 m2, barely missing the minimum.

This is too bad considering bantams could are only 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a standard hen. Did I do the math right? Would I need a much bigger coop/run? I also need to meet the "do not exceed 10m2" requirements for both coop and run space which would be a challenge if I want 5 hens. Thanks.

Last edited:
can you let me know if anyone answered you as i live in buckingham and am very interested in hens etc. I wonder if you could send me the info.

can you let me know if anyone answered you as i live in buckingham and am very interested in hens etc. I wonder if you could send me the info.
I am in the laurentians. We just went ahead and got them (after checking online the provincial rules), but my neighbors were 'inspired' so they went to the urban planner who told them the max numbers (also, no roosters).

you could just call your urban planner and ask them about their rules, each town/city seems to have their own rulebook.

QC has made some nice online publications about the numbers and rules. The one that impacted me most was that there were no numbers for turkeys, and ducks (i think also for quails), but chickens it was per 1000sq' of lot size.

I believe it was 2 chickens per 1000sq' of lot to a maximum of 8 chickens. (I have 10, but no one ever came over to do a head-count)

this all changes if you are zoned as agricultural or get a license to have commercial operations.

my town has rules about selling eggs, (big NO) and the one person who has been doing it for +70 yrs (cranky 90 yr old farmer up the road) and he has recently stopped having hens, so that might be the reason they put in the rule. (once he stopped they could put in a rule before anyone took over his customers, they may have asked him to stop, but he is pretty ornery, I think he would have set the dogs on them if they had come by, he had multiple roosters and no one had the guts to say anything about them).

most of your problems will come from neighbours making complaints. One of our neighbours has had 3 dogs for 10yr+ and had gone to the city for the license every year. A new neighbour complained and now the city wants to enforce the 2 dog max. (so why did you give us 3 licenses all these years???) is the question burning in the heart of every dog owner in the area that has a little clutch of dogs.

to be clear, I am in a heavily wooded area, with a good 300' between houses along the only main road and behind each house is a forest that you can't walk through without a compass and camping gear. There is no chance at anyone hearing or smelling the henhouse.

if you do get them, involve the neighbors (show off the babies to their kids, have a hatch-a-long if you get them as eggs), and be careful t not get a rooster.

if I can be of any help, feel free to reach out. I am about an hour and a half from Buckingham, if you have something like bumblefoot, you can bring her over and I will show you the tricks. I had a steep learning curve, I can share what I learned.

đź’ž

Back
Top Bottom