Gaurd dog for farm

SmartyChick

An Official Milkmaid
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Sullivan County NY
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if their was a certain breed of dog that protects your farm animals. We have moved from suburbia to the sticks just a couple weeks ago. Well, we have the chickens in a horse shed the previous owners built. We have no run and it is in the middle of winter so they have been free ranging during the day and in the "coop" at night. The other day one of my girls was eaten by something in broad daylight! So we are thinking of getting some farm animals and are thinking of getting an OUTSIDE dog that would alarm us if a predator approaches but not eat our animals. Does such a dog exist?

I don't know that the exact breed matters for protection. I have 2 dogs and I have no idea what breeds they come from. All dogs should have a job though. One of my dogs is a nuisance and is on a run. I didn't choose him, one of my daughters did. The other one also didn't get choosen. He chose us. He just showed up and never left. He was a puppy and we've had him about 3 months now. In the beginning he chased the chickens and even caught one. I slapped him in the act. That worked. He knows now that the chickens are part of the pack. That is the point......you have to train them as to what you expect from them. Just having them can be trouble. You can luck out or you can be very sorry. Now at night, they are a godsend. They warn of uninvited guest and scare things away.....even the nuisance. They are worth the 6 or 7 dollars I spend on them every 2 or 3 weeks.
My personal preference with dog breeds is the rat terrior. I lost mine last summer to a snake. But they are better than cats at keeping rodents away and they hate cats, which is a plus if you want your chickens safe. (yes I know they can get along....and its mainly chicks that are in danger from cats). But really dogs can be a plus, if they know their jobs. I would get a young one and read up on training and be patient.

Livestock Guardian Dogs, LGDs, there are different breeds of them but the one I see the most of around here are the Great Pyrenees.

My mom recently sent me an old issue of Grit magazine which has an article titled "Animals on Guard". You may be able to access the article online thru their website. Its well worth the read! The article lists the following breeds for flock protection:

Maremma Sheepdog
Anatolian Sheepdog
Akbash Dog
Komondor and
Great Pyrenees

The article also talks about guardian donkeys.

Good luck finding the right dog for you!

God bless,
Laura

I say get an English Shepherd. I love mine. He love his chickens. He will also check on the quail to make sure nothing is bothering them. He hates all the stray cats and will run them off. I just think these are the greatest dogs ever.

Great Pyrenees. Out of the LGD's, they are the ones that have been the most extensively worked with in the U.S. Since we have had ours, we have had no predator problems. They are super affectionate and love kids. They do need a dominate master as they tend to go through stubborn phases in their puppyhood. Great, great dogs, not anything like any dog we have ever had. Not good for inside, they shed tons of hair. Before you decide on a LGD, please read all you can about them. They are an 'old world' breed and not at all like modern dogs, and are not for everyone.

We also had a lab that was great with the chickens, but he was an awful guardian. He did not seem to care if possums or racoons were within his territory and even wagged his tail at a bear that was within 30 feet of him! He was too happy-go-lucky.

Big no no's in our experience - toy breeds. We had a Yorki-poo and a Maltese that chased the chickens all over the place. I believe all dog breeds have to be trained around poultry. The LGD's are a step ahead b/c they have an ancient instinct of guarding their family (especially hooved animals).

Well I think your on the right track a good LGD is a godsend. They will require some training for both owner and dog. Good fences to keep them in but I love my Anatolians and can sleep tight knowing they are always on the job. Here is a link to a breed rescue nice option just be sure you know what to expect. They are working dogs and need to have a job to do.
old.gif

http://www.anatoliandog.org/rescue.htm

Definitely a LGD. We decided on a Maremma, after research, they were the best fit for us and our farm. In the year before we got our Maremma, we lost approximately 20 ducks, ducklings, and chickens to predators like raccoons, fox and dogs. In the 6 months since we have had him, we have not lost one thing! We got our boy as an exposed puppy, he was 5 months old, and was exposed to everything we had here, so he would be used to them. He was taught basic manners, to respect fences, leash broke, neutered, utd on all vaccinations, etc. He is amazing, awesome with our kids, we just love him! Here is a picture of him when we first brought him home at 5 months.

DSC_0295.jpg

edited to fix my pic

Last edited:
I've been raising a nice flock of bantys(40+) and my German Shepherd has turned into a Chicken Guard Dog and a half. He's great. He and my pet cat know they are part of the family. But I have to say I've never seen anything like an Anatolian that's for livestock interaction and protection as well as the sweetest big dog you could possible have(Great Pyrenees are cool too).

Back
Top Bottom