Gave a baby pig mouth to mouth resuscitation this morning!

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
I'm working at a fall festival in Northern Va. ( http://www.coxfarms.com/ ) and, this morning it seems a pig gave birth last night to 15 piglets!!! Two were dead when I arrived but 13 were hanging in there. As a bunch of us were watching, the mother proceeded to lay down on top of her baby!!! Since no one else seemed to be concerned, I went into action. First, I tried prodding her up with a stick but, when that didn't work, I went in the pen and she got up as I approached. I didn't think about what a stupid thing that was until later!! There lay a brand new little piglet, lifeless and squashed. I picked it up and tried stimulating it by rubbing it. I could tell there was still a spark of life left in there and I decided, no matter what people thought, I was going to give it mouth to mouth resuscitation. Eventually, it started to move and after about 5 minutes, I put it down and it began to walk and squeal.

A question for any of you who have pigs: Is there a way to avoid this happening? I think she is probably going to do it again before this is over. She doesn't seem to have a clue when it comes to laying down. Just goes for it and too bad if there's a baby in the way. I know nothing about pigs and it's not my job to care for them but I'd like to know how to avoid this in the future. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Ellen, just wanted to thank you for saving the little piglet. You are such a good egg!
jumpy.gif

JJ

You are lucky! First that momma didn't eat you and something I found out the first time I handled and bottle fed a new born pig: They are born with a mouthfull of very sharp teeth!
As for the squashing, you ever hear about the PETA people complaining about the way breeding sows are kept in little slatted boxes? They are to prevent them from flopping down on the babies. They CAN lay down, but they have to kind of lean on the side of the pn and slide down, (theroretically) giving the babies time to get out from under. They still manage to squash some, but not as many.

Goes to show you, those groups can do more harm than good.

You were very lucky, Very dangerous what you did to save a piglet, nice and all, but could have been deadly for you.

Sometimes nature has a way of making sure those that survive are the strongest and fittest.

I bet the piglets happy to get to grow and "make weight now" (will it be processed later when older?)

I agree next time think before leaping in there with a new mama....

Well, what can I say? I guess I WAS very lucky (or blessed) not to have been torn apart by the mother or have my mouth maimed by baby teeth!! LOL Next time, I'll know better. Soo, I assume this is a common occurance?? I can tell you this...the fact that the mother did NOT attack me and the way she seems totally oblivious to her young, I'm thinking she's not going to be the best mama in the world. As I said earlier, I know zilch about pigs but am very willing to learn!!
smile.png
I gather the only way to prevent squishing is to put her in a slatted box?

Wow you where really very very brave! It is a common occurance for mother pigs to suffocate their babies by laying on them, is it because they have so many in one litter perhaps? But thanks for saving its "bacon" Give yourself a pat on the back ..... Bravo....

Back
Top Bottom