Gave away ducklings 😭

Alanna1

Hatching
Apr 1, 2023
Yesterday afternoon I made the horrible choice to give away my ducklings. I had two - a runner and a pekin. I took them to the vet and after weeks and weeks of debating I thought it would be best to give them up to her. She told me she would give them to an animal sanctuary. The assistants all judged me for giving them up. I can’t help but feel empty, guilty, and I can’t sleep. I miss them so much and I know they are probably so scared without me there. I don’t know what to do.

I don't think there's anything to do, necessarily. If you feel that you made the right choice in giving them up, who cares what other people think? They can judge you all they want but they're not in your shoes. Most times, an animal sanctuary is a great place for animals. I'm sure your ducklings will acclimate and be happy. Animals are resilient.
I am sorry you're missing them. That would be difficult to deal with... maybe you can visit them sometime?

I don't think there's anything to do, necessarily. If you feel that you made the right choice in giving them up, who cares what other people think? They can judge you all they want but they're not in your shoes. Most times, an animal sanctuary is a great place for animals. I'm sure your ducklings will acclimate and be happy. Animals are resilient.
I am sorry you're missing them. That would be difficult to deal with... maybe you can visit them sometime?
i want to but I don’t know how long it will take until they find a sanctuary and notify me. If they even will modify me.

i want to but I don’t know how long it will take until they find a sanctuary and notify me. If they even will modify me.
You would have to reach out and ask. I imagine if you gave them up they won't have any further responsibility to be in contact with you.

Depending on where the sanctuary is you can visit them. If not you need something to take care of, because you're seeming lonely and maybe taking care of a tiny cactus or something. Also why did you give them away? Did you not have any coop or do you not have room in your backyard? If you do have space maybe adopt some other ducklings or chickens.

Depending on where the sanctuary is you can visit them. If not you need something to take care of, because you're seeming lonely and maybe taking care of a tiny cactus or something. Also why did you give them away? Did you not have any coop or do you not have room in your backyard? If you do have space maybe adopt some other ducklings or chickens.
i have so much going on in my life. I have a full time job and can’t be home with them. My parents are going through a bad divorce and a lot of other things that add up. I couldn’t be there for them as much as I should be. They were in my mom’s living room because the outside coop i built is too cold for them. I loved them but I thought they would be better with someone that could be with them all day. And now I regret it 😞

You would have to reach out and ask. I imagine if you gave them up they won't have any further responsibility to be in contact with you.
I want to but I don’t want to be an annoyance to them. Especially since the paperwork said I can’t ask where they are going.

i have so much going on in my life. I have a full time job and can’t be home with them. My parents are going through a bad divorce and a lot of other things that add up. I couldn’t be there for them as much as I should be. They were in my mom’s living room because the outside coop i built is too cold for them. I loved them but I thought they would be better with someone that could be with them all day. And now I regret it 😞
Wow that seems like a lot I'm sorry about that. Hope in the future you can get poultry of some kind.

NEVER let anyone from a vets office make you feel bad. I got my dogs shots a month or so back and the woman gave a look when I said no to one of the vaccines. I’ve been involved with dogs for over 40 years the vaccine is short lived and useless. I did not have the energy to educate her. People are ignorant and judgmental and I have found that vets offices are probably the worst. To be fair however, I do feel that people should place their own pets. Impulse buying for fowl can turn into a big problem if the person has no way to care for them.

Hopefully, next time you will be better prepared and will be able to provide a lifelong home for your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom