G'day from Australia

Hennah

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Perth, WA
G'day BYC!

My name is Hannah and I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I currently work as a honey packer and enjoy reading science fiction & fantasy, watching a seasons worth of a TV series in one day, going on road trip adventures and playing tourist in my own city.

On Thursday 9th October 2014 I picked up my first ever pets, five one week old chicks!

Here they are in all their fluffy glory. I am waiting until they can be sexed before naming them (as to not get too attached), as unfortunately I am unable to keep any roosters on my property due to living in a suburban area. A home has already been lined up for any such chicks that are sexed as male.

Light Sussex

Buff Sussex

Blue Australorp

Rhode Island Red

Barnevelder x Rhode Island Red

Although I have already done a lot of research and spoken to a lot of knowledge people about raising chicks, I still have a lot of questions so please be gentle. (It's my first time)
wink.png

I look forward to becoming a part of this great community and hope to use these forums as an opportunity to network with local chicken owners
smile.png

Hi Hannah, welcome to BYC! Your chicks are so cute, I hope they all turn out to be pullets so you don't have to rehome any of them. BYC is a great resource for all things chicken, feel free to ask any questions you may have, there are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here.

There are a lot of informative articles under the Learning Center tab, check them out if you haven't already:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Here's a link you might enjoy also:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

Nice to have you join us!

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. We have a lot of members from Australia and you can get in touch with them at the link that NorthFlChick left you with. You have some beautiful chicks. I especially love the Blue Australorp. Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Our Sussex were also very friendly and gentle birds, and my children made lap pets out of them as well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Your chicks are absolutely adorable. Fingers crossed you won't get too many (or any!) males. Enjoy the site!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome from Georgia, USA!

Nice set of chicks you have…very cute….Hope they are all pullets so you can keep all of them !

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Aww.....they are adorable!
love.gif
They are so cute at this age. Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new babies. NorthFLCchick has left you with the link.

So glad you could join our community and we do welcome you to our flock!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful links!

If I have a question I've been unable to find an answer to after both browsing and using the "Search This Forum" function, should I post my question here or would I be better off creating a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Adorable chicks! Hope they all turn out to be pullets! If you know what sub-forum the question would go under you are usually better off to post it on there as a new thread. If you are not sure which forum to use, you can just ask it here and someone should be able to tell you which forum might work better.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

CUTE chicks! Buff sussex are such pretty birds! Someday you may want to look into speckled sussex too!
big_smile.png

G'day to you too. We have a great aussie thread on BYC "Australia, six states and one funny little island." in case you need their input also. You chicks are adorable. How do you get them to stand like that for photos??

Back
Top Bottom