Geese and call ducks

minister man

Songster
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
New Brunswick
We have 2 geese and a pair of call ducks. what is the best/ and most economical way to feed them in the winter snow and frozen ground when they can't graze. So far they each have thier own pen, but I am wondering if they can all live together?

Thats a big difference in size, and you'd need to take into consideration temperament of your geese. When mating season starts which is already in the lower 50 the geese may not want to share space with the calls. but as far as feeding, I have bought a mix of grass hay and both my ducks and geese have been nibbling on it, and i try to find greens on sale or mark down at the store too. and they get an all flock feed. Ground frozen here too. This week they got chopped collards and chopped romaine lettuce

Housing -

When my geese were younger they got along with my ducks (Calls too), but a couple months ago they started bullying the ducks and almost killed several, so they've been separate every since. I think it'd be best to house your Calls away from the geese. If a goose stepped on a Call, the Call could get injured.

Feeding -

My waterfowl get Flock Raiser (and or Layer Pellets, depending on what I have on hand), Whole Oats, Wheat, Barely, mixed with Cayenne pepper, Apple Cider Vinegar, Brewers Yeast, DE, and oyster shelled sprinkled lightly on top. I like to make a warm mash for them, it not only fills them up longer, but they do not eat near as much feed. Clean, fresh water for drinking and bathing is a must. As CottageRose says, water is your cheapest feed. : )

Good Luck

~ Aspen

Thank-you for your help. I bought a book that recommended that an indoor pen have that is 20 sq feet per bird if they are going to be inside for an extended time, and 100 square feet of pasture per bird. She recommended a breeding pen of 3x5 for call ducks with a little house. That is what I am trying go design and build. For this winter the gesse are living in the alley way in the horse barn.

Any how, I was thinking that it would be dangerous to try to put them together. I found a good list of feeding call ducks at http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/call_feed_summary.html.

There is one local guy ( a real old timer) that has 100 or more geese and he only feeds whole oats and he spreads them like fertiler on the ground. Of course his geese run loose, but there is no grazing in the winter. Ond of the duck books I bought suggested feeding chicken scratch and grower mixed half in half. Right now I am feeding them "poultry breeder" because that is what I am feeding the bantam hens, but it is 18$ for 50 lbs and the geese aren't breeding ( especially if they are two girls).

Mrs fluffy puffy, do you mix all those things together in certain quanities or do you just feed what you have on hand?

Thank-you for your help. I bought a book that recommended that an indoor pen have that is 20 sq feet per bird if they are going to be inside for an extended time, and 100 square feet of pasture per bird. She recommended a breeding pen of 3x5 for call ducks with a little house. That is what I am trying go design and build. For this winter the gesse are living in the alley way in the horse barn.

Any how, I was thinking that it would be dangerous to try to put them together. I found a good list of feeding call ducks at http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/call_feed_summary.html.

There is one local guy ( a real old timer) that has 100 or more geese and he only feeds whole oats and he spreads them like fertiler on the ground. Of course his geese run loose, but there is no grazing in the winter. Ond of the duck books I bought suggested feeding chicken scratch and grower mixed half in half. Right now I am feeding them "poultry breeder" because that is what I am feeding the bantam hens, but it is 18$ for 50 lbs and the geese aren't breeding ( especially if they are two girls).

Mrs fluffy puffy, do you mix all those things together in certain quanities or do you just feed what you have on hand?
Scratch should only be fed if your are having extremely cold weather, and even then used sparingly, View scratch as candy, you do not want to feed them too much. Last year I mixed 50/50 on Flock Raiser and Whole Oats. That really helped. Do the same for your ducks. My ducks get fed pretty much the same as the geese.

I just eye-ball the amount of ingredients I use, such as:

Scoop Flock Raiser, small handful of Brewers Yeast, sprinkle of Cayenne pepper, then I mix about 15-25 % of the different whole grains I have on hand. Right now I do not have any grains so they just get FR/Layer pellets mixed in with some spices and such. I hope this was clear, if not just let me know and I'll expand of it further. : )

~ Aspen

So if I fed chicken or duck grower and oats 1/2 in half they would probably be all right? I bought a few bales of second cut clover for them to pick at as well. What does the brewers yeast do for them? and the Cyanne pepper?

So if I fed chicken or duck grower and oats 1/2 in half they would probably be all right? I bought a few bales of second cut clover for them to pick at as well. What does the brewers yeast do for them? and the Cyanne pepper?
That would be fine. I like to use Whole Oats, but some use rolled oats for ducklings and such. My ducks love to dig through hay. I through some peanut hay in their yard yesterday evening and they loved the peanuts. Now they are napping in the hay. Ducks are so sweet.

Waterfowl need more vitamin D3 and Niacin than poultry/gamebirds, Brewers yeast is a good way to get both of those. If your ducks have access to grass they should be fine, however we have nothing but dirt and dry crunchy grass her so I am sprinkling some of that on their food daily.

Cayenne pepper - aids circulation, appetite stimulant, antiseptic, digestive enhancement

Here are some links you might want to look at:
http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2011/12/breakfast-of-champion-layers.html - I base some of my mix off this lady's feed mix.

How to make Apple Cider Vinegar
http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/diy-make-your-own-apple-cider-vinegar.html

More on ACV, Garlic, and DE

http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/01/holistic-trinity-acv-garlic-and-de.html

Hope this helps!

~ Aspen

what do black oil sunflower seeds bring to a ration? The call duck site I made reference to in my post said she gave her ducks 50%oats 50% black oil sunflower seeds free choice and then a feeding of pellets each day too. what would that accomplish? Are they for protien?

what do black oil sunflower seeds bring to a ration? The call duck site I made reference to in my post said she gave her ducks 50%oats 50% black oil sunflower seeds free choice and then a feeding of pellets each day too. what would that accomplish? Are they for protien?
BOSS is very high in protein, has a lot of good oil in it, with makes for healthy feathers with a pretty sheen to them. They are great if you have molting birds, or birds you are getting ready to show. BOSS is an excellent.

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom