Geese and hawks?

polish15

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 27, 2008
MD
I have now lost my second duck in two weeks to a hawk or some type of preadator. I now for sure this last one was a hawk. He was sitting on the duck eating it. We geese help cut down these attacks, or just make more of a eye opener for the ducks. (and geese)

Big hawk? Redtail? I've only had one duck ever taken by a hawk. it was a Redtail. I kept the others in for about a week. Hawk lost interest and went on to hunt elsewhere. My ducks have lot's of cover, and they dive for it! Even from airplanes! But the poor girl the hawk got was old and slow. This is nesting season and the hawks will be hunting around the clock! I'd be cautious.

Sorry! to answer your ?-My goose Zeena flaps and honks and fusses at anything big overhead. Hope that helps! It seems to give everyone else (ducks and chickens) a heads up.
I try to herd everyone in for storms and hawks!

A neighbor of mine has a ton of big, heavy guineas. He lost two in two days to hawks that were a quarter of the size of the guineas. One flew down the aisle of his barn and into his indoor round pen to attack the guinea, with him standing right there. It ripped the birds breast open, which pretty effectively killed it. In neither case did the hawks tote these big birds off, but the guineas were dead regardless.

Just something to keep in mind.

It was a big hawk. Very big. He was just sitting down on the bank eating my call. The ducks are out in a pond but the pond does have lots of trees and shrubs that hang over it. The ducks like to sit in the sun thouh away from the trees. Hopefully they will get use to the cover and be more aware next time.

Back
Top Bottom