Geese and Predators

Dec1an

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hi all

I am thinking of aquiring some geese in the next few months. The two breeds on my list are either Toulouse or Embden Geese.
My question is would a flock of 5-10 geese with a male be threatened by Mr Fox (I live in the UK so a fox is the biggest worry)?
I have kept hens for years and know that even my orpington cockerel wouldnt come off better against a fox but surely something as big as the geese mentioned would?

The answers to this question will give me an idea on whether to go for an enclosed shelter or an open one.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

A fox can kill a goose. Geese are mostly bluff; they aren't really warriors and they aren't nearly as big as they look. A lot of that size is feathers.

Smaller birds of prey won't bother them. Just about anything else can kill them, including the tiny mink and stoats (which you probably have in your area).

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, stoats have been spotted around where i live, but have never bothered before.

It surprises me really, if you think that some geese chase away humans. But i will take your advice onboard! an enclosed run it is then! :)

Back
Top Bottom