Geese B-Day and I Don't Mean Birthday

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
It was butchering day for geese last Monday.

We did 6 of them. Dressed weights, minus neck and giblets were in the neighborhood of 11 pounds.

Necks chopped. My son says the regular butcher stump didn't work well. Next time he wants something to support the weight of the geese because it was hard to hold them up with one hand and swing the ax with the other hand. So larger surface needed next year.

They don't thrash badly. Interesting that rigor was slow to set and quick to pass. They were out of rigor before we got them wrapped.

I have to feed less. Body cavities were stuffed chock full of fat. Intestines were confined inside a solid block of fat.

It took 30 minutes for each bird, because the EZ PLucker isn't really big enough. It couldn't tumble the geese and there wasn't room for 2 geese at the same time. So 90 second scald, into the plucker to get as many feathers off as possible. Then hand pluck as clean as possible, and then into the wax for the last of the pin feathers and down.

The carcasses came out absolutely gorgeous.

I followed the published schedule for butchering geese and there were exactly 2 pin feathers on one bird. That makes butchering much easier. Weather was downright cold, and that makes butchering much easier, too. No worries about the meat getting warm, no flies, no problems with chilling.

Next time, I need a larger work area for gutting. Once I got the bird gutted, I didn't have enough room to separate and prepare the giblets. Necks were impossible. I had to leave them on and have my strong son take them off the geese before we wrapped them.

Wrapping was multiple layers of butcher paper with freezer tape. Next year, I want some cotton butcher's twine to tie the legs. They want to straddle out which made wrapping more difficult. They stack surprisingly well in the freezer and take up much less room than I planned on. I'd been working on freeing up enough space and then didn't use nearly all of it.

Hand plucking was well worth it. It made the wax easy to filter and get put away for next time.

Good job!
thumbsup.gif

Visible size of the geese means nothing.

I could completely bury the length of my fingers into the breast feathers. So what you see is a lot of feather and not bird.

1/2 the geese were visibly much smaller. Dressed, they were less than a pound smaller and perhaps an inch and a half shorter in length.

I'd gone to the grocery store and looked at the geese they had for sale. Just a smidge under 10 pounds, they looked quite small. My geese at 11 pounds look huge. We weighed them 3 times using 2 different scales and then tested the scales because neither my son nor I could believe that they were only 11 pounds. They felt really heavy to move them around and they look twice the size of the geese in the grocery store.

5 are in the freezer and one resting in the fridge waiting for it's holiday appearance. It's going to be my first ever roast goose and I am really looking forward to trying it.

By the way, the carcass doesn't seem that fatty. There is very little fat under the . skin. The body cavity was stuffed full of fat, but that has all been removed. Large pads of fat are in the freezer, to be used for cooking. The fat around the intestines has been thrown out. Maybe next year, I'll strip that out and save it, if I really like the goose fat for cooking. Fat is interesting. It is very soft, almost melted when the birds were fresh killed and still hot.

Awesome Oregon Blues.

I need to pay more attention to the details of when to butcher next time.
roll.png
Unfortunately, being in FL I have no control over the weather but I must saying processing in the low 80's the Sunday before Thanksgiving STINKS!!!

Congrats on your birds. Sounds great.

My Grandmother's favorite ( and mine) after holiday goose treat !!! Next time save all of the fat... render it all down in a skillet. Then the solid portion that remains just remove out of the HOT fat , immediately place on some fresh bread, and savor its' goodness. After the melted fat is solidified, you can spread it on some toast instead of butter... tastes fabulous. Enjoy.

Congrats! I processed geese a few years back for the holidays and the family still mentions them at each holiday gathering. Nothing tastes better than a homegrown goose.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom