The little things I learned

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I hadn't butchered poultry in a long, long time before this year. I don't know about anyone else, but butchering birds was not like riding a bike (to be fair, I've also forgotten how to ride a bike, so I have a beef with that saying to begin with). I spent a lot of time reading about and watching other people's techniques before diving in. Our freezer is now full, and these are some of my personal little notes.

Emotionally, it never gets easier. If anything, the guilt accumulates. But I  know my animals had a great life and as easy a death as I'm capable of giving them. I know it - it never makes it any easier, but I do know it, and that gets me through it.

It doesn't matter what age they are, every muscovy will be a pin feather nightmare. People who say there's an ideal time to pluck muscovy are either lying or have super human capabilities that allow them to pluck their birds within the one nanosecond that exists where the feathers will cooperate. Outside that nanosecond, and you're stuck with pins.

Even if they lied about plucking muscovy, they didn't lie about the flavor: muscovy are feathered beef with bacon flavored skin. On that note, always pluck; never skin. I've found skinning to not be any easier, and anyway it's downright criminal to discard the best part of the bird.

If you're hatching in hopes of hens for eggs, you will get almost entirely roosters. If you're hatching in hopes of meat, you'll wind up with nothing but hens, at which point chicken math will set in and chicken and dumplings won't be on the menu for the foreseeable future.

No normal chicken will ever compare to supermarket carcasses, so don't bother with dual purpose birds; waterfowl can serve as the main meat source. The scrawnier breeds of chicken eat less, and they're just as edible if you find yourself craving chicken.

Let the birds hatch and raise what you plan on eating. I get waaaay too attached to anything I've had a hand in rearing, so I've put away the incubators and keep my distance from the younglings.

Kill your favorite first. I know myself well enough to admit that if I don't do my favorite first, then he'll never get done.

Always be prepared for the fact that you will be slaughtering your favorite bird of the batch. No matter how much I want it to be female (because I can always justify adding another girl to the flock), the reality is that my favorite will always, without fail, turn out to be male.

Roasting a whole bird is the worst way to prepare waterfowl, and probably accounts for most folks who think they dislike goose or duck meat.

Muscovies have maybe a million feathers, while geese have at least ten bazillion gazillion feathers. All the same, geese are a hundred times easier to pluck than muscovy.

You should never dry pluck for the same reason man should never eat sushi: man discovered fire so he wouldn't have to endure eating raw meat, and man paired that fire with water so he'd never have to experience the hell that is dry plucking.

Sometimes a kill won't go as planned. Don't panic. Fix it immediately, and don't be hard on yourself. As long as you were quick to adjust, it was probably harder for you than the animal.

If you think about it, you're more likely to screw up. Just do it, and you can think once it's done.

No matter how careful you are to remind your husband that another slaughter day is coming and freezer space will be at a premium, he will be certain to come home with what seems like 100 gallons of some interesting flavored ice cream he couldn't pass up. In his defense, the pickle ice cream was one of the best things I've ever tasted.

Last edited:
Great post! It's difficult, but I always do the "kill your favorite first" thing. This habit started as an accident when my husband picked up my favorite first and I was going to say something but didn't. It did make it easier, so I generally try to do that so I don't have time to do mental gymnastics to justify not killing it at the end.

Also, thanks for the thing about kills not going as planned. I did that for the first time recently and it was so emotionally painful. However, I do feel good knowing I adjusted quickly and got it done.

Muskies are best eating, bar none.
p/s how did you dispatch them?

They are good, though I've had a lot of people around here tell me they taste like mud. I'd love to bring them some of my smoked muscovy just to prove them wrong.

Which species? I don't like to just let things bleed out - I prefer to sever the connection to the head as quickly as possible, an attitude which probably comes from working in a lab for so many years. I know some say you won't get as good drainage that way, but I've never had an issue.

I use the broomstick method on chickens, which is also how I did rabbits before deciding I dislike their flavor too much to bother raising them. Both species have necks that seem to have evolved specifically for easy dislocation.

The geese are the only ones I have my husband help with. I hang on to their bodies and maneuver their necks between 2 nails while he does one good chop with the axe. A little ankle sock over the goose's head (but not their neck!) keeps them calm. I can not make myself try to do the killing blow myself on geese, and I even close my eyes for it. It's a bit of a cheat for my personal rule of not eating anything I can't kill myself, but I'm hoping the participation counts and I'm not being too hypocritical. They're such sweet birds, and emotionally the hardest on me.

For muscovies I found it easiest to copy this guy here, though I break the neck immediately after slicing, which allows me to easily take the rest of the head off with my knife. Luckily I can do these steps quickly enough that it could be mistaken for one motion. Muscovy necks are too tough for me otherwise; I don't trust loppers after witnessing some massively bungled attempts, and I don't have the strength or confidence to be able to effectively use an axe or hatchet.

Back
Top Bottom