geese cross breeds Embden x Landes possibility

Eric Rosario

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2019
ok. so after several days here are some findings. We have to remove the one bullied goose from the flock, it is in the cage next to the others so they are close to each other but separated.

the rest of the flock white gander white female and two gray females are all ok and calmed down now, no pecking for food etc.

the removed is ok too, she is eating without any fear now.

BUT! what is goin on? let's put this togethere:
from the goslings my 75years old neighbour lady told me it is he, per the features, and later too. my grand parents too all of 'em they are not sure it looks like gander.

we had in January 2019 6 geese one alpha male, two side males were chased away by alpha, two females and one unidentified lighter one. some breeders told me it is he but it's passive and can be dominant once the alpha is gone, so we removed all 3 ganders to let this one awake. and it did. it was broody siting in the nest on eggs, so wa stayed without gander with only few fertilized eggs and the rest were empty. two goslings hatched.

2019 we got 3 geese females and no gander. I finally was able to find desired gander Emden with his mate, we put them together and everything was fine, the gander made up his flock together until now.

gander mated with the grey females, but maybe not with the lighter one, and once i have seen the lighter one was on the top of the greyish. ok maybe something strange.

but now the gander is chasing her/him away like the alha did last year.

so what is this? is it he or she ? i have no idea after all, i'm curious if she lays any eggs as she is alone, but on the other hand if it is a gander the white gander should fight it already and gander is not broody?

i would say autopsy would tell us more, but it will be too late.

any thoughts?

Miss Lydia

Drakes are Awesome
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
When does egg laying begin where you are? here its usually March. I'd let her/him live like you have them set up for now. That way shouldn't be long for you to know sex. She'll still lay even if not mating if a female.

Eric Rosario

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2019
I bought them on 31st May 2018 as several days old, so in February 2019 they were less than one year old when we found the nest with first eggs. In our area geese usually start laying in february and should be broody in March so starting April babies should be here.

Eric Rosario

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2019
hello again, as was mentioned we had to remove the one goose female from the flock to separate cage keeping her close to the rest of the flock. after nearly 2 weeks now suddenly from one day to another the remainig two grey females got bullied by the gander and embden female too. So we put the 3 greys together to the other cage, its small for now but they seems to be at least ok with their own small pool.
we are keeping the embden male and female now in the original bigger cage with the barn as per the words from the original owner she should be laying her eggs by the end of february and should be only like 15 eggs. She might be broody too. as the Embdens are more rare breed regardless of their behaviour against the greys we would need to ensure that the embden female got everything to lay hatchable eggs.
Landes as they are laying more eggs we have time to let them mate even later once the emden could be broody and sitting on her eggs.
not sure why the male started to behave like this even to the rest of the greys, maybe he want to ensure his original female the best conditions?

last year (first year) all our 3 ladies were able to cooperate with their nests and went broody nearl at the same time. seems 4th elder lady is not that cooperative with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom