Geese dumped close to our property

rcravey

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
Central Texas
Geese.jpg
Geese1.jpg

These two geese were dumped last night just across from our property. The little bridge they are on leads to our property and fortunately they found the water rather than go the other direction towards the street. I have taken them some food to them and I feel so sorry for them. I know nothing about geese and wonder if it would be a good idea to try to lead them up to our property and keep them. I read a post that mentioned geese protecting chicken. We do have chickens but they are already pretty secure. Any advice?

Geese make wonderful additions to a homestead they are loud and watchful, so they "sound the alarm" when danger is near, but they wont fight off predators to save your chickens.
I love my geese as pets, but they are loud, and dont get along with my ducks and chickens, so I keep my geese separately.
They need predator proof place to sleep at night also. and waterfowl feed or an all flock feed, but mostly they love to eat grass.
You may enjoy keeping them if you are willing to be patient and make a commitment to spend time with them, and they will reward you with friendship.
If you dont want to shelter and keep them, call animal control to pick them up, someone will likely adopt them. They are not wildlife, and they won't survive well on their own, they are domestic geese.

Geese make wonderful additions to a homestead they are loud and watchful, so they "sound the alarm" when danger is near, but they wont fight off predators to save your chickens.
I love my geese as pets, but they are loud, and dont get along with my ducks and chickens, so I keep my geese separately.
They need predator proof place to sleep at night also. and waterfowl feed or an all flock feed, but mostly they love to eat grass.
You may enjoy keeping them if you are willing to be patient and make a commitment to spend time with them, and they will reward you with friendship.
If you dont want to shelter and keep them, call animal control to pick them up, someone will likely adopt them. They are not wildlife, and they won't survive well on their own, they are domestic geese.
Thank you so much for your quick reply and advice. We are seriously considering keeping them and are looking into a good place to provide shelter at night. I do have a concern about how the geese would interact with my dog. He is a Jack Russell but does not act like one at all. He's a rescue and had a traumatic past life and is fearful of everything from storms to the sound of food simmering in a pan on the stove top. Do you think they would be aggresive towards him? I don't worry about him being aggresive towards them as he's more likely to be afraid of them.

Thank you so much for your quick reply and advice. We are seriously considering keeping them and are looking into a good place to provide shelter at night. I do have a concern about how the geese would interact with my dog. He is a Jack Russell but does not act like one at all. He's a rescue and had a traumatic past life and is fearful of everything from storms to the sound of food simmering in a pan on the stove top. Do you think they would be aggresive towards him? I don't worry about him being aggresive towards them as he's more likely to be afraid of them.
They’ll only be aggressive if he invaded their personal space, otherwise they’ll mostly try to avoid him.
Poor geese, they must be terrified! I wonder what kind of cruel person could just abandon animals like that. 😔

I have two geese now, but I used to have three and when they danced in a circle around my dog flapping and screaming and nipping at her I decided to keep my dog separate

Back
Top Bottom