Geese Eggs Lockdown Temperature

Apr 19, 2022
221B Baker Street
Hi,
I've been looking around and I can't find the information I need on lockdown for geese eggs. I've heard some people say they lower their incubator's temperature by 0.5, 1, or even 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit. Other articles on lockdown that I've read don't mention temperature at all.
I'm on day 23 of incubation. I have pure Toulouse eggs, Toulouse - Pomeranian mixes, and Toulouse - Chinese mixes in the incubator. Should I change the temperature for lockdown? If so, what should I change it too?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DTS

Hi,
I've been looking around and I can't find the information I need on lockdown for geese eggs. I've heard some people say they lower their incubator's temperature by 0.5, 1, or even 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit. Other articles on lockdown that I've read don't mention temperature at all.
I'm on day 23 of incubation. I have pure Toulouse eggs, Toulouse - Pomeranian mixes, and Toulouse - Chinese mixes in the incubator. Should I change the temperature for lockdown? If so, what should I change it too?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DTS
Welcome to BYC! Lowering the temp a bit is so they don't get overheated while hatching. I never have lowered my temp though.
You could lower it half a degree if you wanted, that shouldn't hurt anything. But I wouldn't go any lower than that. I'd worry about having trouble keeping the incubator stable by messing with it too much. The extra humidity will lower the temp some on its own in most cases anyway.
I'd bump humidity up to 65% at lockdown, then to 75% as soon as you notice an external pip. That works the best for me. Good luck with your hatch!

Welcome to BYC! Lowering the temp a bit is so they don't get overheated while hatching. I never have lowered my temp though.
You could lower it half a degree if you wanted, that shouldn't hurt anything. But I wouldn't go any lower than that. I'd worry about having trouble keeping the incubator stable by messing with it too much. The extra humidity will lower the temp some on its own in most cases anyway.
I'd bump humidity up to 65% at lockdown, then to 75% as soon as you notice an external pip. That works the best for me. Good luck with your hatch!
Thank you very much! I might lower it a little less than half a degree Fahrenheit. I'll try to get some pictures of my goslings up when they hatch for you and SilverBirds.

Thanks,
DTS

I'm glad I asked when I did! Nearly all my eggs are getting ready to dip! I'll put some anti slip stuff in the incubator tonight. I just hope that when they do hatch in a few days, it won't be at night. I'd feel terrible if they were stuck in there. I guess it's actually not that big of a deal (Didn't know that they could live off their yolks for over a day), but I'd still feel bad. Again, thank you so much for your help.

DTS

Back
Top Bottom