Geese have shunned one goose…why?

Bubblesduck

Chirping
Jan 30, 2024
My friend has a few geese , Toulouse pair, (2) (1) sex/type unknown goose , 1 female emden and (1) female Egyptian goose… for some reason a few weeks ago, they have all chased the Egyptian goose away…she sits on the side of the enclosure….one of the Emden is laying a nest but since the only male is the one Toulouse I doubt the eggs are fertile…any idea why they shunned this goose? There are also two ducks and three silkie chickens but the ducks and chickens keep to themselves…

The Egyptian 'speaks' a different language than the others and is likely being shunned because she is a different breed. If the Toulouse is breeding the Embden , the eggs should be fertile. Some ganders will breed only their mate, but others will breed multiple geese in the flock.

Of she’s an Egyptian goose “Alopochen aegyptiaca” that’s actually a species of duck, very different from a goose so it’s no wonder the others aren’t accepting of her. For her safety and happiness I would look for another of her species to pair her with, male or female will work.

As for the embden and Toulouse, they’re the same species and so long as they’re breeding I don’t see any reason some of those eggs aren’t fertile.

It’s strange because they were fine for a while then all of a sudden…. But I do notice the two Toulouse and one other goose will all put their heads down together and honk loudly together

It’s strange because they were fine for a while then all of a sudden…. But I do notice the two Toulouse and one other goose will all put their heads down together and honk loudly together
It’s breeding season, everyone’s now hormonal, territorial, and bone headed. Things should settle down by summer.

Back
Top Bottom