Geese question. New...

featherfinder

Runner Lover
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Pinallas Park, Florida
I have ducks already and I am selling 2 of them so i have the option to get 2 more female ducks or a goose to replace them. I was thinking about a goose to protect my ducks beause i hear they are protective. What would be the best goose to go with ducks and for someone who has not has not had one before? And are they alot more different then ducks like food and shelter wise?

They will be more protective. BUT, they still will not stand a chance against raccoons, dogs, or other animals. As far as I can tell, they aren't a lot different for housing, food or otherwise. They might be more territorial in the spring with the nesting season.

I would go with Pilgrims or Sebastopol...because I have them and know them better.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of ads on craigslist in my area for toulouse and african geese. Anyone know anything about these breeds and ducks? any more suggestions? Also have an ad for an embden goose.

Quote:
Well that is true to a point. Geese need way more greens/grass than ducks.

you should get at least two geese. they arn't happy without companions of there own species. they don't just 'fit in' with ducks like u think. we keep our ducks and geese together but they like they're own species better (they do get along they just don't 'comingle' much)

Last edited:
Toulouse or Embden, over African geese. I love my Toulouse pair! They're very mellow, but are great "alerters" of things. And as mellow as they are, they still run at people they don't know, wings a'flapping, which tends to deter unwelcome visitors. Not afraid of dogs, but many dogs are quite wary of them.

They are part of my chicken flock, sleeping in the (garage sized) coop with them. They actually herd the younger chickens into the coop at night and are the last to go inside.

Quote:
This is a photo of my Toulouse pair, Kate and Angus, as they amble off the end of my veranda, after a nice visit with me.
41679_geeseleavingveranda.jpg

And here they are with some of the flock youngsters. Aren't they lovely?
41679_geeseminions.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
This is a photo of my Toulouse pair, Kate and Angus, as they amble off the end of my veranda, after a nice whist with me.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41679_geeseleavingveranda.jpg

And here they are with some of the flock youngsters. Aren't they lovely?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41679_geeseminions.jpg

Very lovely!!!! Thank you for sharing the pictures. Can you give me some more info on the breed? Food, shelter, how they are with your chickens and ducks? And do you think i can just introduce 1 into my flock of ducks? Or would i have to get a pair?

Back
Top Bottom