Geese??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    We live in rural Alabama on over 12 acres. About 6 acres are cleared and the rest is overgrown timberland. Hardly a day goes by that I do not find fox tracks around my chicken yard. It is double-fenced plus has a poultry-net roof, so at least so far I haven't lost any chickens. I would dearly love to have a trio of American Buff geese, but I'm very certain the only way I'd keep them alive here is in a pen.

What kind of a pen--what size, what facilities--would I need to keep them happy? Yeah, I want more for them than just alive. If I cannot give them a good place to live, I will forget about geese. But since I've never had geese, I have no idea what they need to be content as well as safe family pets. No, I don't really want any goose dinners--just some happy, honking friends

Any input will be a great help!

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a small barn for mine as they are territorial w/chickens and the goslings. I'll winter six and have a small pond which I mean to build bigger opnce done w/chicken coops and pens.

I used chain link fence panels so can reconfigure easily and still need to cut the pop doors a bit bigger as they fit standard chickens easily so geese squeeze thru.

I placed sand down for ease in raking up, barn is filled w/straw for bedding. Mine know my truck and honk and run for the gate when they hear but cannot yet see the vehicle LOL.

They're a bit messier than chickens but I LOVE them and everyone in town drives by to see them, all ages of people. At first my son who owns the property kept asking; "Do you know that person or those people?" LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by