geez...4 roosters out of one hatch

COCKmasters999

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
The pecking order battles are in full swing inside my brooder. 2 barred rocks, 1 ast, 1 buff and it seems like they'll never back down. The crowing started 2 days ago which we don't mind at all because after all who needs a digital alarm clock? We are wondering which of the 4 will come out on top as the dom male...Yesterday was clean up day and when I entered the pen to clean i dropped down to my knees to call over some of the more friendly hens, the buff walked over, calm and confident then spread his neck feathers and pecked the heck out of my hand. Now I am not sure why he's acting like this now (9 weeks) but I can say this, there has been a big shift in the pecking order and to be honest my wife would keep them all but I say otherwise. I feel he's the keeper but really the rest should go. We'll see how this all plays out next week when they are outside full time but for now the cold nights prevent us doing so. During the day i spend a lot of time outside watching them socialize( home injured from work) and they act so different outside free ranging. He is the top dog in the pen but outside seems to be way more independent and carefree. Can I expect this to continue?

I don't know how your flock dynamics will play out but do know that 9 week old chicks can go outside. They should be completely feathered and will be able to handle freezing temperatures without any problems.

What makes you think they are males by the way?

The pecking order battles are in full swing inside my brooder. 2 barred rocks, 1 ast, 1 buff and it seems like they'll never back down. The crowing started 2 days ago which we don't mind at all because after all who needs a digital alarm clock? We are wondering which of the 4 will come out on top as the dom male...Yesterday was clean up day and when I entered the pen to clean i dropped down to my knees to call over some of the more friendly hens, the buff walked over, calm and confident then spread his neck feathers and pecked the heck out of my hand. Now I am not sure why he's acting like this now (9 weeks) but I can say this, there has been a big shift in the pecking order and to be honest my wife would keep them all but I say otherwise. I feel he's the keeper but really the rest should go. We'll see how this all plays out next week when they are outside full time but for now the cold nights prevent us doing so. During the day i spend a lot of time outside watching them socialize( home injured from work) and they act so different outside free ranging. He is the top dog in the pen but outside seems to be way more independent and carefree. Can I expect this to continue?
It could change as they mature and the hormones kick in. Personally, I would NOT keep the one that walked right up and challenged me. I'd keep the one that keeps a respectful distance and minds his own business.

That's 2 weeks ago. Not sure where you live but temps are still hitting pretty low at night here in upstate NY...We tried it last year and lost 2 and they were very healthy chicks. None of them have been exposed to temps that low yet so another week sleeping in the garage wont really bother us. Plus, mom pampers them...lol. Im not being a smart ***** at all , i'm asking, when they crow like that shouldn't it be pretty clear what they are?

Last edited:
Any bird crowing at 9 weeks is a rooster, there's no doubt about that. Plus, that's some big ol comb going on there!

I agree with bobbi-j. The characteristics we see as "friendly" are often precursors to aggression in birds. Overall, roosters make pretty poor pets.

That rock in the pic is the sweet one that my wife is in love with and is a total mush. I don't want a pet because we have so many, I will keep them all around for now but I see a stew pot full of fresh rooster in the near future. All our hens are so sweet and love the people time we provide for them.

Back
Top Bottom