Gemma

GeeseMama

Songster
Jun 6, 2018
Unfortunately this past Spring my baby Gemma lost her mate, Chewy, to a coyote. Luckily she had a duck boyfriend on the side to keep her company. 😜 And this duck, Lily Monster, is head over heels for her. So for anyone with that question, yes a duck and goose can bond.

Attachments

• PXL_20220112_132740184.jpg
    PXL_20220112_132740184.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 4
Unfortunately this past Spring my baby Gemma lost her mate, Chewy, to a coyote. Luckily she had a duck boyfriend on the side to keep her company. 😜 And this duck, Lily Monster, is head over heels for her. So for anyone with that question, yes a duck and goose can bond.
Do watch them come breeding season if he doesn't have any duck hens to mate with. My Khaki Campbell drake has a harem of females, but he still ambushes the goose hens on the nest and rips all the feathers out of the back of their head while attempting to mate with them while the ganders watch. It got so bad last year she would wait for me to come home from work to lay so I could guard her on the nest while she was laying an egg. I didn't have the pen space to move him, but they'll be separated before the breeding season this year.

Do watch them come breeding season if he doesn't have any duck hens to mate with. My Khaki Campbell drake has a harem of females, but he still ambushes the goose hens on the nest and rips all the feathers out of the back of their head while attempting to mate with them while the ganders watch. It got so bad last year she would wait for me to come home from work to lay so I could guard her on the nest while she was laying an egg. I didn't have the pen space to move him, but they'll be separated before the breeding season this year.
Fortunately this love affair is two sided. Hard to believe and crazy, I know but they are exclusive. I do have other hens and drake's but these two stick together. Even before she lost her mate the drake was the third wheel and showed no interest in his own kind. So crazy! Now the other drake's, yes they are awful. They attempt to do the same to Gemma and sometimes all at the same time. She's a bossy girl though. Large and in charge. She fends them off usually taking feathers herself with the help of the drake. (And myself sometimes)

Fortunately this love affair is two sided. Hard to believe and crazy, I know but they are exclusive. I do have other hens and drake's but these two stick together. Even before she lost her mate the drake was the third wheel and showed no interest in his own kind. So crazy! Now the other drake's, yes they are awful. They attempt to do the same to Gemma and sometimes all at the same time. She's a bossy girl though. Large and in charge. She fends them off usually taking feathers herself with the help of the drake. (And myself sometimes)
Also I'm glad that I am not the only one that had non confrontational gander. He was literally the biggest wimp ever. So sweet, so cowardly LOL

Back
Top Bottom