Gender guess 1 month Swedish Flower

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
This is Berkeley, a Swedish Flower Hen hatched 2/21. It is my first and only SFH, and the oldest of my chicks (all others hatched 2/27 or later) so I can’t compare apples to apples. Berkely was purchased straight-run from a local breeder.
IMG_6395.jpeg

IMG_6373.jpeg
IMG_6374.jpeg
IMG_6361.jpeg
IMG_6358.jpeg
I know it’s early, but I’m guessing Berkeley is a cockerel. He is growing faster than the other chicks, and is very outgoing, bold, and adventurous. Comb is yellowish orange and moderately pronounced. Any guesses?

Here is Berkeley at about 3 weeks alongside 2 week old flock mate “Ronnie” who is a Barnevelder.

Attachments

• IMG_6268.jpeg
    IMG_6268.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 8
I know it’s early, but I’m guessing Berkeley is a cockerel. He is growing faster than the other chicks, and is very outgoing, bold, and adventurous. Comb is yellowish orange and moderately pronounced. Any guesses?
I would guess the same thing, but I would not be certain at this point.

If the chick is a cockerel, then the comb & wattles should become more pronounced and much redder over the next few weeks.

If the chick is actually a pullet with a big comb, you may be guessing for quite a while (either until some younger cockerels make the matter obvious by having bigger & redder combs than that one, or until the bird starts laying eggs.)

Thank you for updating. It's nice to know the answer so clearly!

He's a precocious little fellow, to be starting to crow at such a young age :)
I hope you're right. In my (limited) experience raising roosters, I have found early crowing to be an indicator of a more dominant/agressive rooster. But I learn a ittle more with each one, so maybe Berkley will prove that suspicion wrong. He's so beuatiful and personable right now.

Back
Top Bottom