1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Guess? 18/19 week Red Sex Links and Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Scoopers804, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Scoopers804

Scoopers804 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is our first ever flock so we are anxiously awaiting either crows or eggs! No one is crowing yet.. No eggs yet. (I know it's still a lil early though for eggs.) No sign of spurs.. Three of them love to 'nest' in the grass, nesting boxes and dirt (as you can see with Sally! lol) but the differences in combs/waddles has us wondering.. Though I know some will turn red not long before they lay. They are 3 red sex links and 3 barred rocks, approx. 18/19 weeks old. All are very friendly. Thanks bunches for all the opinions! =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    They all look like pullets to me! [​IMG] Lucky has some pretty red wattles but based on body shape I'd still say hen.

3. Scoopers804

Thanks! That's what we were thinking too.. but then a few of them started getting those beautiful combs and wattles, so I wasn't so sure! (They 'waddle' too.. lolol.. I swear, sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain.)

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    All look like girls to me. Based on their color I am betting either Sally or Lucy lays the first egg.

5. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    All hens.

6. Scoopers804

Oh thank you all so much! I was told they can go pretty red a lil before they begin laying! =D

7. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    All girls :)

8. Scoopers804

Thanks so much! I hope you are all right! =)

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, those are all pullets. The red, large plump comb is a sign of sexual maturity and eggs incoming. Shouldn't be more than a month for some of those girls.

10. Scoopers804

Yay! Thanks bunches! =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by