Gender guess 4 week Barnevelder

Guys! Please tell me this is my imagination! Of my four 4-week old blue Barnie “sexed pullets”, 1 is a boy. I’m okay with that. But what about the others?? Tell me I’m just being paranoid!

Cloudy is 100% male. No doubt. In spite of the breast pattern.
View attachment 3844403
I get it. It happens. Hatcheries promise 90% accuracy.

Foggy I’m pretty sure is an actual girl in spite of the fact that her breast is solid black. She has the smallest and yellowest comb of them all.
View attachment 3844413
View attachment 3844414
View attachment 3844415

It’s Hazy and Misty that have me worried. Their combs are similar is size. One has a pinkish hue coming in to the comb. The other does not. I can’t remember which is which and it’s hard to tell in these photos. Do these look like pullets to you?

View attachment 3844423

View attachment 3844424
View attachment 3844427
Hmm it’s hard to tel!
Can you try and get some more closeup photos of comb & wattles for the two in question? For Hazy & Misty?

Hmm it’s hard to tel!
Can you try and get some more closeup photos of comb & wattles for the two in question? For Hazy & Misty?
It is kinda hard to tell right now, but right now they look like pullets to me. A healthy chick will still have a pink or red face regardless of sex, but those combs look pretty thin to me. You'll know for sure in a month. Either way, they're beautiful chicks. Good luck.

Hmm it’s hard to tel!
Every time I try to get a pic, there’s either too much or not enough light, lol!

I just moved them out to the big run, and the brooder or little chick area is under the roofed portion, so now my pics are going to be dark and probably too backlit for goood comparison. But here’s a couple more pics of Hazy (yellow banded).
IMG_8963.jpeg

IMG_8962.jpeg

Last edited:
Misty is refusing to come out of the brooder for pics. This is the best I could do. Misty is the chick whose comb is turning pinkish-orange. Her chest color I think indicates female, but then again my obvious male has a loudly patterned chest, too.

IMG_8975.jpeg
IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_8977.jpeg

Just for fun here is Cloudy the male. I thought Barnevelder cockerels Weren’t supposed to have color on their chest, but he sure does. Unless he loses it when he grows in his big boy feathers.
IMG_8983.jpeg

IMG_8985.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom