Gender guess and color/genetics question

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
This is Patches. I think he’s a him. What do you think? He’s a little over 2 months old. He is a mix with some cool striped feathers. Would they be considered barring? If so, how would he have inherited it? My rooster is a Red Orpington x Rhode Island Blue mix. His mother is a Speckled Sussex.
IMG_2995.jpeg

IMG_2998.jpeg IMG_2989.jpeg
IMG_2992.jpeg
IMG_2987.jpeg

I have another chick, 2 1/2 months old, who is the same exact mix. I noticed these stripes on her feathers. My lavender Wyandotte has similar stripes like this on some of her feathers, mostly around the tail. Is there a word for these markings? I don’t think it’s the same as barring, but I don’t really know.

IMG_3186.jpeg
IMG_3187.jpeg

Unrelated- but while making this post, my rooster started creeping on what I was doing. His wattles hit the screen and selected the pic of him sitting on my lap. So here it is. It has nothing to do with my post, but I thought it would be appreciated here. It won’t be long until they learn how to utilize their wattles effectively on touch screen technology to order their own snacks from TSC! :lau IMG_3248.jpeg

First, yes, Patches is a cockerel. He’s not barred, just has some cool mixed feather patterns. The other chicken isn’t barred either, I’m not exactly sure what’s going on there. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in!

Also, that’s one smart rooster you’ve got there! I bet he just wanted to show off how gorgeous he is :lol:

First, yes, Patches is a cockerel. He’s not barred, just has some cool mixed feather patterns. The other chicken isn’t barred either, I’m not exactly sure what’s going on there. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in!
Thanks for the feedback. I’m Lways so weirded out by the feather patterns on my mixes because they rarely ever look like the parent birds.
Also, that’s one smart rooster you’ve got there! I bet he just wanted to show off how gorgeous he is :lol:
He’s as narcissistic as most young Roos, lol!

Back
Top Bottom