Gender guesses on these barnyard mixes?

I would have guessed the same as the others as far as sex. You are lucky if you hatched them out yourself and got only 4 males. Most of my hatches are around 50/50. I have had very few where I was lucky enough to get mostly pullets. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the update! One of my white chicks, a pullet with a crest also has a curled toe which I noticed like a week after I got them. Actualy tried to help her straighten it by making a bunch of cardboard "shoes" and fixing it with medical tape for a week, changing it every day (touching the toe or straightening it didn't bother her at all and didn't seem to hurt her). It did help a little, but really not much. Anyway, she's a happy pullet nonetheless and does everything just as fine as other chicks. Don't worry about it too much.
Read somewhere it might be a vitamin B2 (I believe) deficiency while growing (brewer's yeast has lots of that vitamin) or inappropriate humidity levels while hatching. More experienced members might know more :)
If you had noticed the foot issue earlier usually what you did would have fixed the foot issue. Good luck and have fun...

Fingers crossed that Mr. Fuzzy Feet is a Mrs but I think he's a cockerel too based on his attitude (chest bumping the bigger birds). I was really hoping the pretty beige one was going to be a lady. Oh well! It's the chance you take :)

Is it the feathers or the comb on the white, beige and black one gives it away? The comb is bigger than the other birds but there is no colour to it.

Thanks everyone.
All chicks will chest bump when they are young. I have seen some of my young females do it too. Currently I have some chicks around a month old, some that just turned a week old and more due to hatch next week. The color in some doesn't appear until they are closer to breeding age. Again, good luck and have fun...

Thanks for the updates! I just wanted to add how funny is is that your black mixed breed looks so much like this one Black Brahma cockerel I had. Not suggesting they're the same breed at all, but just thought it was funny :)
He's some sort of australorp/brahma mix, he's pretty cute. I had a feeling from the start that he was a cockerel - he was pretty balsy with the bigger birds.

I would have guessed the same as the others as far as sex. You are lucky if you hatched them out yourself and got only 4 males. Most of my hatches are around 50/50. I have had very few where I was lucky enough to get mostly pullets. Good luck and have fun.
I had two hatches this year and my first I got 5/6 pullets and then 4/8 on my second. I hatched 7 ducklings too and they appear to be a good mix too!

Back
Top Bottom