Gender help- 6 weeks

kharmon320

Songster
Sep 6, 2015
South Carolina
I hatched out 8 chicks on July 29/30. Everyone is right at 6 weeks. I have 4 that are obvious cockerels (2 black orpingtons (? mottled) and 2 leghorn crosses). I'm pretty sure the other leghorn cross is a pullet due to very little comb development and still orange/light. The brown chick was chipmunk and feathered in with a female pattern, so I'm also fairly certain on her as well. The two I am not certain about are a barnyard mix black/brown that I still think is a pullet despite the comb/wattles coming in. There is leghorn in the mix (I'll include a picture of the father bird EE/dark leghorn cross), so EE/dark leghorn X black sexlink or welsummer or another mix female. All of my friends hens have large combs as well as the rooster, so I expect this chick to have a large comb male or female. The third black orpington is also in question. It feathered out much slower than my obvious cockerels, barely has a tail at this point and comb is still yellow but noticeable. I know orpingtons can be slow developers, but I would appreciate any help on gender. Some of the boys are becoming quite obnoxious.

Barnyard Mix Pullet (one in front of first photo)? It has been very hot here (95 almost daily) but this one has gotten more pink in the past week.
MixPullet4.jpg

MixPullet.jpg MixPullet2.jpg MixPullet3.jpg MixPullet4.jpg

Orpington pullet? (in back) I'm fairly certain the brown chick is a pullet.
Orpington2.jpg
Orpington.jpg Orpington2.jpg

Here's a photo of the Rooster of all the barnyard crosses (Orpingtons came from someone else).

Roscoe.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Just to follow up for anyone else out there wondering about their chicks, the chick pictured in Post #4 is a pullet. I had others at 8 weeks tell me it had to be a cockerel, but my gut kept telling me it was a pullet. By 14 weeks, no hackle or saddle feathers. Today, at 18 weeks, it laid a small egg!

Back
Top Bottom