Gender of these chickens

Mac_5

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
We thought these two were hens when we got them, but they look like this now, crow at us, and are fighting each other as of tonight. How do you deal with roosters fighting?

Attachments

• 20200609_211913.jpg
    20200609_211913.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200609_211844.jpg
    20200609_211844.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 11
Both look like roosters. How much space and how many hens do they have? You may need to separate them unless there are tons of hens and a spacious enclosure.

We don't have enough space and enough hens to separate them. From what I've heard from others, they say that the roosters should fight a bit, establish a pecking order, and then be fine with maybe a few shuffles here and there. Animals in general don't really fight to the death because it wastes too much energy and is too risky, so I believed them.

We don't have enough space and enough hens to separate them. From what I've heard from others, they say that the roosters should fight a bit, establish a pecking order, and then be fine with maybe a few shuffles here and there. Animals in general don't really fight to the death because it wastes too much energy and is too risky, so I believed them.

There’s no guarantee they’ll get along, so be prepared to rehome one if push comes to shove. Chickens, most especially roosters, will fight to the death over hens. I had two Cemani roos, the dominant escaped his cage and beat my young cockerel almost to death before I realised. Both were well behaved with hens and humans. Chickens aren’t like most animals, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom