gender of this chicken

I'm sorry for my wrong information lol I thought the hackle fathers were supposed to be pointed on all roosters. Maybe those are just coming in.

He's a young guy and doesn't have hackle feathers yet. His saddle feathers are just starting to emerge.

With a bird this young you're better off sexing by color if you can, and for Barnevelders this color pattern is a dead give-away, since hens are laced and don't have green tails. Also, if you look closely you'll see dark red on the shoulders, and that's a cue that the bird is male no matter what the breed.

Ah, okay. I know nothing about barnevelders so I'm glad experienced people stopped by. To me it looked like a close to mature hen. I'm guessing it's younger than I thought.

Thanks everyone. I've been back in touch with breeder and will return Barnie today and swap for a hen. I'm going with hubby this time so thanks for your posts above now I know what I need to look for :)

Do you have other chickens? I may be reading this wrong, but was this your only chicken and you're going to replace it with one other pullet?

Please keep in mind that chickens are social/flock animals and do best in groups of at least 3. They truly need a pecking order to establish.

If I misread, sorry for that!

Best of luck with getting other pullets! You'll love chickens, I'm sure!

Thanks for checking but I now have 17 in my flock with a couple of eggs hatching at the moment under a broody. My friend got me in to chickens a couple of months ago and I liked her rainbow carton of eggs so thats why I was adding a Barnie to my flock :)

Then I apologize for my misunderstanding!
hide.gif

I had run into a few people on BYC that suddenly picked up a single chicken and didn't understand what the bird needed.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom