Gender? Trader Joe's chicks

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
So since i am like the most extreme chicken outlaw, I have to keep my chicken size down. So when my broody Cochin wanted to hatch eggs i drove to TJ's and bought a dozen fertile eggs, set 4, three developed, three hatched, 2 survived. So now they are like 2 or 3 weeks old. One chick has sooo many wing feathers they are soo long they go past the body and has an 3/4 inch of tail feathers. The other one have wing feathers not even body lenghth.

One female one male?? Yes ? no ? maybe so ?
hu.gif

Generally speaking, the pullets tend to feather out faster than cockerels. That's been MY experience, and even so with my TJ's chicks.

If you got White Leghorn chicks like I did, they will comb out really quickly. Remember that the HENS also have combs - and rather large ones! - but the roosters have much more prominent ones.

Here's a picture of mine, hatched on New Year's Day so they're quite a bit older, but you can see the difference in their combs really well. There are THREE pullets and one cockerel - he is in the middle of the group.

41679_nyd-treechickensbest.jpg

Oh, and mine like to roost in the trees during the day, far over my head. They roost on the back porch rail at night.

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine like to be high too !! They get on top of my patio table and the mom goes CRAZY !! As for trees .. . .i don't see that happening, My house will get more tourists than the celebrity houses, they come to see the Chicken in the tree in beverly hills hahaha

Quote:
Well......, they sell fertile eggs for eating. Whether you want to hatch them is up to you.
wink.png

Well I'll be..I never even thought about that. LOL Do they tend to come out one certain breed?

Quote:
Well......, they sell fertile eggs for eating. Whether you want to hatch them is up to you.
wink.png

Well I'll be..I never even thought about that. LOL Do they tend to come out one certain breed?

There is a TJ's hatching thread on here you can look up. I think that some one contacted the vendor and they are Leghorns. We don't have a TJ's but my health food store sells Chino Valley Ranchers fertile eggs. They use RSL (usually ISA Browns) for the hens and they put White Roosters (usually some variety of Leghorn cuz they are small and don't abuse the hens). That cross should make a dandy layer. Next time one of my hens goes broody I'm makin' a trip to the market.

mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:
YOU CAN BUY FERTILE EGGS AT TJ'S????????????? tell me how this is possible.

Nice to know I am not the only one in the dark
lau.gif

I assumed the eggs had to stay warm...I never knew you could refrigerate them and they would still be viable..call me ignorant
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom