hmm.png
Around what age can you tell between pullets and cockerels? I have 12 Barred Rocks and 26 Rhode Island Reds I'know it's going to be a while before I can tell but I need a round about age when you can really tell the difference.

Added 14 More Pics, Help plz. I'll be waiting here at the
caf.gif
late tonight.

Last edited:
I can tell mine pretty soon, 3 weeks at the max. Some breeds you can tell the differents, cause the roosters grow slower than the hens and the hens grown really fast. Any Pics?

welcome-byc.gif

The barred rock chicks you can tell by the white head spot, legs and after feathered out.Then by combs.
1st head spot rooster chicks are large spots, pullets have a smaller spot.
2nd pullet chicks will sometimes have the black wash down the front roosters wont.
3rd after feathering the roosters will be lighter colored. Closer barreds and there combs will get bigger and red first.

RIR chicks by 6 to 8 weeks you should see combs starting to get bigger and red on the roosters.
Then later the saddle feathers will start growing in.

You can post pictures we all love to see chicks.

Rocks will be lighter in color I had one roo that had gray wash down his legs. By 3-4 weeks you will be able to tell by comb girl rocks combs will be small and kinda beige in color boys will be pink or getting red. RIRs I dont know wish I did I have 22 in the brooder right now but I have noticed one has very thick legs and feathers not coming in as quick as some of the others so pretty sure he is a he. They are almost 2 weeks old.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
big_smile.png
Thanks the chicks are 19 days old and one of the RIR's just now started to get tail feathers, all the rest have had them for 5 or 6 days. All of the B Rocks got their tail feathers at the same time, this is hopefully good news cause all I wanted was on one RIR roo anyway, really really want the rest to be pullets. The 2 smaller pics one is a GLW and I'm not sure about the white one it's either a White Leghorn or a White Rock.
68116_rir_and_barred_rocks.jpg
68116_my_buddy_3.jpg
68116_my_buddy_4.jpg
68116_glw.jpg
68116_kims_buddy.jpg

Last edited:
1st pic; br pullet br rooster rir pullet rir rooster
2nd pic br rooster
3rd pic br rooster
4th pullet
5th pullet

This is still early and this could change, I like to wait till 6 weeks.

In your first pic, look at those two BR chicks. The top one is darker overall and has a small, tight spot on her head. The lower chick is lighter overall and he has a larger, looser spot on his head. The second pic, chick on your finger, also has larger, looser spot. You should get a pretty good idea of girls and boys that way. The Reds, I don't know, you gotta wait............
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom