General chickens issues..

CampB80

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2021
Hello, and just setting the stage here: we are new to raising chickens and have done a fair amount of research but experience always helps. We have 6 chickens and we keep reading their combs should be bright red and none of theirs is bright. They always have food and clean water while we clean the coop at least once a week. Probably more than needed. Three of the chickens are silkie hybrids and kind of wonky. One has extra toes, one is aggressive, and one is a bit “special” and kinda dumb but our favorite. We came out today and found she had blood all around her neck. I am not sure if it’s other chickens, disease, or she got caught on the feeder which is galvanized steel and some edges that might have cut here. She’s not the brightest and sort of headbutts everything. The feeder was turned over when we got out there. Had it on a pedestal while doing chores and was going to mount it. We are debating a vet but if it turns out she’s being picked on, what do we do? We don’t want to separate her on her own especially with winter coming. If it’s mites or anything then that’s more simple. We have a dust bath with some organic sulfur mixed in so I would think that keeps the mites at bay. They also say if the chicken is easy to catch then that could also mean that they are sick. Punky, the special one, is always easy to catch so that’s hard to assess. Well, hoping to learn for y’all. Thanks.

Can you post some pictures of them? Have you checked them for lice and mites?
I’ll get more pictures but this is how we found Punky. We did a quick check on them but didn’t see anything unusual. Just watched a video and will check the vent after kiddos eat.

Attachments

• F425C7EF-2660-4F74-BDA6-D3FD25305766.jpeg
    F425C7EF-2660-4F74-BDA6-D3FD25305766.jpeg
    664.4 KB · Views: 2
Wow, is it still bleeding?
My wife brought her to the vet and there was a big puncture they stitched up on her neck. We chalked this up to learning. I reviewed a camera we have in the coop and something was trying to get into the attached run. All of the ladies got into the coop and high up in the perch. Punky, unfortunately, went about her day regardless of the commotion and most likely got close enough to the side that the fox (most likely) was able to get a claw on her by pushing on the wire. Punky walks with her head down and back of her neck exposed. One logical outcome. Ordered another Wyze camera to put on the run. Cheap security. Our chickens are fancy with security cameras and all. Hah.

Make sure to reinforce the area so that it doesn't happen again. Also adding a few strands of electric wire around the bottom 2" & 4" up - minimum - will help. We have both. One just lets us see what might be going on, but the other provides a protective barrier.

Back
Top Bottom