General pigeon questions

mangove

Chirping
Jun 18, 2016
Erie PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! I currently have a large 30x14 aviary with a 9x9 coop area connected to the aviary and thinking about raising pigeons in this aviary. But first, I have a lot of questions... Also, I'm planning on getting a good amount of white homers to use in weddings, but also would like some "fancy" ones just to look at.

1.) how much does a white homing pigeon cost on average?

2.) how often do you have to clean the pigeon loft, also how do you do this?

3.) right now the aviary is very nice, and has landscaping and stuff and a pond, and a bench and I don't want it to be covered in poop and ruined by the pigeons, how many should be my limit so that the place doesn't get trashed by the birds?

4.) Do pigeons drown? I have had MANY animals drown in that dang koi pond in the aviary and I don't want the pigeons to be another one on that list.

5.) do pigeons eat snow, just planning ahead, around my place winter temps commonly get below 0 so water freezes VERY quickly and just wondering if anyone has had their pigeons eat snow. Preferably they would always have water, but if it happens to freeze while I'm out or something I want them to have another option.

6.) is it too late in the year to buy some squabs and then have them breed again this year?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Wear a dust mask as a precaution is a good idea.

3.) right now the aviary is very nice, and has landscaping and stuff and a pond, and a bench and I don't want it to be covered in poop and ruined by the pigeons, how many should be my limit so that the place doesn't get trashed by the birds? Rule of thumb is 2 cubic feet per bird.

4.) Do pigeons drown? I have had MANY animals drown in that dang koi pond in the aviary and I don't want the pigeons to be another one on that list. Short answer no never heard tell of one drowning.

5.) do pigeons eat snow, just planning ahead, around my place winter temps commonly get below 0 so water freezes VERY quickly and just wondering if anyone has had their pigeons eat snow. Preferably they would always have water, but if it happens to freeze while I'm out or something I want them to have another option.They are smarter than chickens and chickens will eat snow.

6.) is it too late in the year to buy some squabs and then have them breed again this year? No they breed every month if left to their own devices from February right up until September.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the helpful answers!

Also, do you just feed them chicken feed? When they are little and you are keeping them "locked" in the loft, can they have free range to the aviary? Or will they not register the aviary and the loft as a home?

Thank you so much for the helpful answers!

Also, do you just feed them chicken feed? That and whole corn. When they are little and you are keeping them "locked" in the loft, can they have free range to the aviary? Sure it does not take them too long to know where the feed is. Or will they not register the aviary and the loft as a home? They will be able to differentiate the two quite quickly I would think. A can filled with stones, corn or feed rattled when feeding makes a good feed call.

Also, can homers fly back in the winter, or just the summer? Is the cold too much for them? I fly my birds all year long. I do keep them penned up when I find it too cold to venture out. I always let them venture out for 2 hours a day they decide if they want to free fly around the loft or not.

Also, do you know of anyone that lives in the nw pa region that raises pigeons?
When it comes to pigeons:
Check out this site in a perfect world you should find someone near by.

http://www.npausa.com/customer_service/found_pigeon.html

When you get some squeakers I would let them view their surroundings outside for 4 weeks maybe more (depending on the quality of homer you purchase) get them familiar to the entrance and exit of your pigeon trap or loft.
This is a photo of my bobbed pigeon pigeon trap that doubles as a small aviary when the landing ramp is closed. When the ramp is up they get used to walking through the bobs in a matter of hours and returning into their loft and have it mastered in a few days.
The opening into the loft has bobs that only swing inward.
On their first taste of freedom it is wise to release one bird at a time and make sure you have taken their feed away from them for at least 12 hours to give them further motivation to renter the loft and join the rest of the flock for breakfast .
I usually release them in full view of the landing ramp maybe 10 - 20 feet away.

Good luck back yard buddy.

I hand feed my homers shelled unsalted peanuts as a treat only and they will fly to me when I whistle. It takes some patience but it can be done (harder especially with older birds).

Pigeons are super smart and can identify people from one another the same as you. They will only do this for the ones that tend them on a regular basis.

Over time your more aggressive birds fly to you for the LION SHARE and the rest of the flock end up at your feet waiting for spillage.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I was really lucky and actually there is a breeder right near me and is selling off all of his stock so I should be able to buy some good birds from him... But first I have to go into overdrive and get this aviary pigeon outfitted

Ok, so I went out today and got 10 white homing pigeons, but they are all a year old. Will they ever view my loft as home? If so, how long will it take for them to view the loft as home. Their previous home is only just 15 miles away, and I'm just afraid that with the other loft being so close that they will always view the other loft as home...

if they where flown at there old loft and are good homers you will loose them if you turn them out maybe if they raise a few rounds some may settle but some wont chicken laying pellets are fine only thing with pellets there droppings are loose and make a mess I do feed them they are complete diet with grains they waste some and pick what they want and leave rest and have to have grit best if you get babies that are just out the nest find some racers and those late hatches may be avaiable how deep is the water and are sides steep or could bird walk out if falls or lands in the pond

The pond is about two feet deep and the sides are rubber so they are slippery, there are multiple Ramps into the pond that if s bird fell in it should be able to swim over and get out. But we recently tried putting quail in there, and when the quail would fall in they wouldn't even try to swim over to the ramp,they would just sit there and wait to drown.... So that's my big worry with the pigeons... Ok, so it is best to not ever let these older ones out, but instead raise their babies to be homers for my loft. They are currently laying eggs so I should have a nest soon and then babies soon after. Will it take long for them to settle and start a nest?

Back
Top Bottom