1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

general quail questions?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by itsasmallfarm, Jan 13, 2017.

1. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    hello everyone

am looking into quail for my small farm. (right now have chickens plan on getting ducks and doing some aquaponics to provide more food) am mostly looking at bob white quail as it turns out bob white are 100% legal with out any permits needed. (and i do like the look of them) but here are my questions

#1 how many eggs a year does a bob white lay? i have 21 leghorns, plan on getting 4 hen ducks, so am not lacking in eggs i think it would just be nice to have a few quail eggs once in awhile.

#2 how cold hardy are bobwhites? where i live it can get down to minus 49C or negative 56.2F, i plan on maybe putting them in a green house.

#3 caged or in a flight pen? where should i keep them in a cage or raise them in a flight pen?

thanks its a small farm out.

2. AuQuail

AuQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    What's the general rule for breeding. I have 12 hens, and I want to Introduce 2 males to them. . What's the Go. . Better to have males who are related to the girls? Or it doest matter?

3. AuQuail

AuQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    Ignore my last question. Found plenty of info already on here.. :)

But one question is, can I feed my hens wholemeal bread (toasted and not toasted). No butter of course!

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe a little bit as a treat but remember it will expand when wet in their crops and tummies :O

5. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Bobs are pretty hardy, but I don't know if they are that hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by