Genesis 1588 Temp Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rammy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    I got my incubator out and have had it running for a day to get the humidity adjusted and let the temp get up and running for a few days before I set eggs and I noticed this year that the temp in the bator isnt going up to the 100.3 degrees it ran on all the time last year. [​IMG] I cleaned it and did not touch any of the toggle switches. I just checked it and its running anywhere around 98 to 99 degrees according to my two thermometers in it. [​IMG] I have a Brinsea spot check and a water wiggler in there and it says around 99.3 I think. I have to get some fish tube line to run thru the top so I can put in the water in the correct trough. That was the problem I had last year was keeping the humidity consistant. I think because of the fan, it dried up the water quicker. I also got myself for my birthday an automatic egg turner. [​IMG] The CO-OP in town just happened to carry Hovabators and they had an egg turner for them too!! [​IMG] So should I just give it another day or so on the temps and see if they remain consistant around that or adjust a toggle? [​IMG] I plan on setting eggs next Sunday. I wanted to wait until it got warmer here because when the chickies hatch, they have to go to the barn in a couple days<way to dusty in the bedroom with them in there>. [​IMG] Thanks, y'all!!

Rammy

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds &amp; Bees

I think that I would give it another day or two before adjusting. Since they are factory calibrated and it ran well last year for you. I actually think that 99.3 (if your thermometer is accurate) is a pretty good temperature for a forced air incubator.

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Me too. Forced air is supposed to 99.5 . Yours is almost perfect. I'd leave it as is.

4. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

This year my 1588 has dropped at least twice to 98ish temps after turning eggs or opening the bator and it wouldn't return to the "normal temp" even hours later. It is usually rock steady at 100.2 at just above egg level or at least that is what my thermometers say. I don't know if this helps, but I unplugged it for a minute and plugged it back in and the temp returns to 100.2 and stays there [​IMG] . But, unplugging seems to "reset" the thermostat. It only has to be unplugged for a minute or two and it then heats right back up and remains stable. I've always had really good hatches with this bator and this has happened only a few times over two seasons of hatching.

Trisha

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Interesting... my 1588 is also running at or around 98˚ this year. I have hatched a couple batches in it already, but they have not been the best hatch percentages I've ever had. I was thinking my problem was the new hygrometer I bought. The old one was switching back and forth between 100˚ when the fan was off and 98˚ when the fan was on. (Or vice versa, can't remember) So, anyway, I think you will be okay. I'm afraid to try to adjust mine.

6. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008
    I adjusted mine just a little ago and put it on toggle 5. It was on four because it was maintaining a temp of around 98 or so. I have a water wiggler in there and it said 99.5 for a while but when I came back from running errands it said about 98 something. So I decided to change the toggles and see what happens. If it goes too high, I might put it back on the fourth toggle and/or call the company and see if they can give me some ideas as to why its not maintaining the temps it did last year.

Rammy

7. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Interesting. When I took my incubator out of storage, powered it up at exactly the same setting it had been on last year (which translated to about 99.3-99.5), it was at about 98. I had to turn it up from a 3 to a 4, and now it's at about 99.5-99.7. All ideal temperatures so there's no worry, but it sure is strange.

8. Doctim

Doctim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    North of Dallas, Texas
    Mine does the same thing. I reset mine to factory default every time I set it up for a hatch. The thing gives me great hatch percentages though...just not on shipped eggs. Once set, It still drops into the 98 range but like I said great hatch percentages.

9. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008
    Its a good thing I dont have any eggs in it because it had totally quit when I got home. I guess Im going to have to call Cutlers and complain or GQF and see about getting a new motor. Its not even a year old!!! I have no idea what happened. <sigh>

Rammy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by