Genetic Calculator

Ridgerunner

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
Could someone knowledgeable please confirm I am starting correctly with this cross calculator? This is where I think I should start.

Delaware = Columbia = Black patterned Silver Columbian

Buff Orpington = Buff = Black patterned Buff Columbian Clearneck

Speckled Sussex = Red Mottled = Black patterned red millefleur

Black Australorp = Black = Black unicolor

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

I am starting with Cackle Hatchery stock, so I am aware the bloodlines are probably not as clear as they could be, but I’d still like to have an idea where I am headed.

Delaware – No other options appear viable to me?

Buff Orpington – I don’t seethe Columbian influence on my Buff Orps. Should maybe these be one of the golds? Something else?

Speckled Sussex – I could see possibly one of the Golds, Reds, maybe Spangled?

Black Australorp – I keep reading that red is dominant over black, yet when I choose Black Unicolor, I always get black chicks, no matter what I cross it with, male or female. Same with Black Mottled. Am I missing something?

I've always had difficulty with the buff portion of the calculator. My birds are not columbian patterned and if you try to remove it you get some other colored bird that is not buff.....

Maybe someone else could help us out with that one.

The problem with buff (and if you will note there is (or at least was in an earlier version, I assume it is still there) a clickable button that explains this) is that there are a number of "genetic recipes" to create a buff chicken.

Yes Delaware could carry the Columbian Gene but I dont know how the Barring in the tale and hackles plays in there..

Chris

Edited a wrong answer Tim lined it out for me.
big_smile.png

I'm not very good on all this stuff yet still studying trying too learn it this Genetic stuff gets way deep.
My best advice is PM tadkerson look at his sticky thread at the top of the page, this guy knows his colors he and Krys109. Maybe they'll chime in here for ya and we all can learn some thing else.
smile.png

catdaddy

Last edited:
Delaware are wheaten, silver, columbian restricted and sex linked barred.

Sorry, I can help you with the calculator. I do it in my head.

Black on black mottled will produce black chicks. The mottling gene is recessive so it is just like crossing two black birds.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Where are you running into problems? I find it pretty simple, and extremely addictive
wink.png

Speaking for myself only here...

I run into problems with things OTHER than simple recessives and dominants. I can manage with genes like lavender, mottled, B/B/S, and such, but I just don't know the "genetic codes" for certain mutations, like partridge, grey, buff, etc... I have no idea what "extended black" is or how it applies, charcoal, mahogany and champagne/blonde throws me for a loop, and melanizers, inhibitors, and the pattern gene push me right over the edge.

This is why I liked the one calculator with the pull down list of colors and the "advanced calculate" button - that way I could click on "partridge" for example, then hit "advanced calculate" and it would show me the genetic code for that color.

I'm still easily confused but this has helped me a lot. Using Hinkjc's thread to the Jubilee Project (link below), the best match I can come up with is

Speckled Sussex Male - Red Ground Color, Black Pattern Color, and Millefleur Pattern. The other possible pattern choices I see are Mottled or Spangled but neither gives the Jubilee results.

Buff Orp Female - Gold Ground Color, Fawn Pattern Color, and Buff Columbian Pattern.

I don't feel confident in this, but at least the results seem to match.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=257333

The Black Australorp is the one I have absolutely no confidence in. It appears there are several combinations that give solid black. My current guess is Pattern Color Black and Pattern Unicolor. I have no idea what the ground color might be. The options are silver, gold, red, buff,and lemon. If anyone has any knowledge or even an educated guess on Cackle Hatchery's Black Australorp ground color, or any other info, I'd sure appreciate it. And if my guess is totally wrong, please help set me straight.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom