Genetic help needed to breed my ideal EE

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I love my fluffy faced, bearded ladies. Love them. I love their colors.
I have 9 roosters to choose from and I am hoping to breed a flock of gorgeous birds. I have some other projects going on but this one I need some help please!
(and of course...It would ideal if they were somehow sexlinked.)

I'm posting some photos of my favourite pullets from this summers hatch.
The thing is I didnt really keep track of the rooster situation back then- so thier dads may be one of two roosters....
And any of my flock of 25.

But I like these ladies best.

1 -Smokey,(love her black black legs, generally Im not a fan of the totally grey bird- but i like her shades) and in background Fennel and HennyHen-Hen
2- Fennel and Henny Hen-Hen
3- center- Caramel and on the very bottom, Crusoe
4- Bonkers (a 2 yr old hen- IS SHE WHEATON???? -she is likely the mother of Caramel- if possible? both are VERY flighty)
5-Better pic of Crusoe- is it possible she is from my welsummer hen? looks identical to a Welsummer except for muff and beard. The weird thing is she lays blue. (not green--BLUE).
6 and 7- more photos of Fennel. I just love her colouring. Can you tell? What colour would you say she is? Is there a name for this?

Attachments

• fennel_chickens.jpg
    fennel_chickens.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 11
  • fennel_pullet.JPG
    fennel_pullet.JPG
    922.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9081.JPG
    IMG_9081.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9072.JPG
    IMG_9072.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8948.JPG
    IMG_8948.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Fennel3.jpg
    Fennel3.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 6
  • fennel2.jpg
    fennel2.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
so I guess my question is - when I breed a Welsummer to a mixed rooster how do i get an easter egger pullet that looks like a Welsummer?How is this possible??Crusoe looks just like a Welsummer with beard and muffs. I thought dad would pass on his feathering colour to his daughter? But clearly that cannot be.

Otherwise I wouldn't have so many different looking pullets with only 2 roosters.... would I ??

So how do i get more pullets that look like the ones I like and less that look like the ones I don't like? LOL

Bonkers (a 2 yr old hen- IS SHE WHEATON???? -she is likely the mother of Caramel- if possible? both are VERY flighty)
No she looks like a blue wheaten/duckwing heterozygote.
The comb fits. The color doesn’t, but Crusoe could get the red
6 and 7- more photos of Fennel. I just love her colouring. Can you tell? What colour would you say she is? Is there a name for this?
Blue red wheaten/duckwing heterozygote.

5-Better pic of Crusoe- is it possible she is from my welsummer hen? looks identical to a Welsummer except for muff and beard. The weird thing is she lays blue. (not green--BLUE). You’re right, she looks identical to a Wellie except for the beard. The color and type even. It’s stupifying. Do you have any Brown Leghorns?

so I guess my question is - when I breed a Welsummer to a mixed rooster how do i get an easter egger pullet that looks like a Welsummer?How is this possible??Crusoe looks just like a Welsummer with beard and muffs. I thought dad would pass on his feathering colour to his daughter? But clearly that cannot be.
Nope, that is a myth. Only sex-linked genes are only inherited from the father. In most, both parents contribute equally. I don’t know if the Welsummer is the mother though, if you get blue eggs from Crusoe. If the duckwing genes from both parents combined in one bird, she could reach come from any of your EEs.
Otherwise I wouldn't have so many different looking pullets with only 2 roosters.... would I ??
Nope
So how do i get more pullets that look like the ones I like and less that look like the ones I don't like? LOL
Breed from them back to their fathers, or to similar looking brothers.

Nope, that is a myth. Only sex-linked genes are only inherited from the father. In most, both parents contribute equally. I don’t know if the Welsummer is the mother though, if you get blue eggs from Crusoe. If the duckwing genes from both parents combined in one bird, she could reach come from any of your EEs.
Nope
Breed from them back to their fathers, or to similar looking brothers.
Can you tell me which genes are sex linked to mother
And which are sex linked to father?

I am so confused!!!!

I want to make more like these hens!

Can you tell me which genes are sex linked to mother
And which are sex linked to father?

I am so confused!!!!

I want to make more like these hens!
Sex linked genes are genes that males have two copies of but hens have one copy of.
Barring, silver, and dermal melanin Inhibitor are dominant sex-linked, so you use the hen with the gene in a cross.
Chocolate is recessive so you use the male with the gene in a cross.

5-Better pic of Crusoe- is it possible she is from my welsummer hen? looks identical to a Welsummer except for muff and beard. The weird thing is she lays blue. (not green--BLUE). You’re right, she looks identical to a Wellie except for the beard. The color and type even. It’s stupifying. Do you have any Brown Leghorns?
YES!! I had 2 Danish Brown Leghorn hens this summer. Why?

Back
Top Bottom