Genetic question~Who's the father?

AmyJ

Songster
14 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Wallkill, NY
Ok well I have a red pyle old english game bantam that went broody then decided to give up before the eggs hatched. So into the incubator they went and only 1 of hers was good and it hatched last Thurs. I have 2 roosters, a mille fluer d uccle and a golden sebright. So I have no idea who the father is. Just wondering if feathered legs are dominant or not. The chick is mostly white but has a gold colored head and gold stripes down its back. Yellow beak and legs. Anyone have any ideas? I'l try to post pics later
smile.png

Yes, feathered legs are dominant (usually). However if the feather legged bird has one copy of feathered legs and one copy of not-feathered legs, only half its offspring would inherit the feathered leg gene. To further confuse things, there are three separate genes that cause foot feathering. Different breeds tend to carry different ones, hence the different types of leg feathering.

Wow that is confusing! lol.Its good to know though. I have 5 more eggs in the incubator that are going to hatch soon, all from my chickens. My hens are red sex links and 1 amberlink, I think? and my roosters the mille fluer d uccle and the golden sebright.They are both very busy boys, so it should be interesting to see what the chicks look like as the sex links are mixed as it is. The one that hatched already was the only bantam egg we had. Anyway they should all be cute and hopefully all girls
smile.png

Check the comb too. Sebright have rose comb which is dominant. If the chick has a flat looking comb area.. it's the sebright daddy, no waiting needed. However it is normal for single combs to float around in any rose combed breed, there is some chance sebright is a single comb "carrier".. if he is then half of his offspring with the oe will have singles.

Back
Top Bottom