Genetic way to barred/cuckoo Ameraucana

oldschoolchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
is there any possible genetic way for an Ameraucana to be barred and have slate/Black shanks? I know black ameraucanas do have black shanks

Quote:
I see two ways.. and the first that needs to happens is Chromosomal crossover of sex linked barring to wild type recessive dermal inhibitor id+ during genetic recombination

Sometimes I would get some fairly dark legs on my olive eggers. They are a combo of barred rock, ameraucana and marans, and some other mystery stuff that throws brown below.
8084_burntbrown.jpg

One of my olive egger roosters jumped a silkie hen one day when he was ranging and she scooted between my feet and made a break for the great outdoors. There resulted one weird colored mutt hen.
8084_chocmutt.jpg

I was curious about the inheritance pattern of the little brown hen, so I crossed her on this black sikie roo that I knew for a fact carried only black.
8084_black11roo.jpg

I got two offspring. One is a black based silkie feathered single cuckoo gened cockerel with pretty dark legs for being a cuckoo. That is the point of me posting all the above, so you could see where the genes came from.
8084_silkiedcuckoomutt.jpg

The other is a hard feathered jet black pullet. I plan to cross the pullet with her full brother to see if the color is sex linked or recessive. If I get any male browns, I will know it is simple recessive. Took two pics of her today, one normal, and one just after I said b-GAWK to get an expression from her. BOY did she give an expression! LOL
8084_blacksilkiemixmutt.jpg

Quote:
You can not get sex linked barring ( cuckoo) on a bird and still have slate or blue legs. The sex linked barring gene makes the legs white. Autosomal barring could be produced and the bird have slate or blue legs.

Tim

Quote:
You can not get sex linked barring ( cuckoo) on a bird and still have slate or blue legs. The sex linked barring gene makes the legs white. Autosomal barring could be produced and the bird have slate or blue legs.

Tim

Oh its possible, you just need to break the Id(Dermal Ihibitor) B(sex linked Barring) likage first... then you need to add a dermal enhancer...

Quote:

Tim

Oh its possible, you just need to break the Id(Dermal Ihibitor) B(sex linked Barring) likage first... then you need to add a dermal enhancer...

thanks nicalandia, I sent you a pm

I know that sex linked dermal melanin is about 14 centiMorgans from the barring locus. A bird will not always inherit the inhibitor with the barring gene. There is too much distance between the two loci : barring and dermal melanin inhibitor. It is the barring gene that is causing the inhibition of the pigment to the epidermis by the extended black locus not the sex linked dermal melanin inhibitor gene.

Your idea is good but with 14 centimorgans between the two loci- there would be barred birds showing up with black/slate legs and that does not happen. The pigment inhibited is also due to the extended black gene. The dermal melanin inhibitor gene does not inhibit the pigment added by the extended black allele. Dermal melainin inhibitor only works on pigment in the dermis and not the epidermis. Extended black adds pigment to the epidermis- the barring gene removes this pigment also- this pigment is not involved with the dermal melanin gene.

Tim

49442_barred_ee_002.jpg
Here is a pic of a barred with slate legs and slate spots.My guess is the spots are on the dermis and slate is on the epidermis.I have been trying to find a path to slate legs with sex linked barring.I have 3 cuckoo pullet with white spotted legs I will use this rooster on in a effort to reproduce this combo.I also have a younger cockerel with the same color legs.I am interested in finding people interested in working on this project with me.

There is nothing one can do to make dark legs on a sex liked barred bird. You can not fight the gene- it is what it is. Unless there is some gene out there that would block the action of the barring gene on the shanks, it can not be done.

The only way you might get it is if the bird carries dermal melanin and fibromelanotic. A black skinned bird may produce enough pigment to get slate or blue legs.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom